7 Movie Days You NEED to Have This Summer
Last weekend, my friends and I watched every film in the Marvel Avengers canon in succession. We started (chronologically) with Captain America: The First Avenger, watched Iron Man, then The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and finally we went to the theaters and watched The Avengers.
These sorts of plans are only made by people who enjoy watching epicness unfold while their eyes begin to slowly roll out of their sockets and down their cheeks. It's a gauntlet. You start off with your friends on either side of you on the couch, and sometimes all you find hours and hours later are nearly-dead arms reaching up from between the cushions.
But there are some movie sagas that are just worth it.
1. The Lord of the Rings: Snack ideas: lembas (old cornbread?), and ring pops!
Films: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.
Running Time: 9.3 hours (not Extended Cut)
2. Star Wars: Give everybody a SW-themed Pez dispenser and they'll be happy. Come to think of it, themed Pez dispensers would work for any of these films. Any time not spent watching the saga can be spent playing Battlefront II or training.
Films: (in canonical order) Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
Running Time: 13.3 hours
3. Indiana Jones: Have your friends bring some bullwhips and y'all can have a bullwhip fight!
Films: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Running Time: 8 hours
4. Ocean's Movies: Danny Ocean and his team take on business magnates and their ultra-high security in incredibly cerebral ways. I'll admit that alone, 12 isn't quite as much a joy to watch, but 11 and 13 more than make up for it.
Films: Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, Ocean's Thirteen
Running Time: 6 hours
5. Harry Potter: You may need to get some coffee to stay awake for all of these. And, of course, bring Redvines!
Films: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two
Running Time: 19.6 hours
6. Toy Story: Bring tissues.
Films: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3
Running Time: 4.5 hours
7. The Avengers: Costume party? Thor thinks so.
Films: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, The Avengers
Running Time: 12.4 hours
Have you ever watched an entire saga in a day?