Skip over navigation

How to Enjoy Your Insomnia

How to Enjoy Your Insomnia

By Contributor

Can’t sleep? Well, stop complaining and embrace it! While other people are busy resting and replenishing their bodies and minds, you have an extra twelve hours to get important stuff done. Here’s how I suggest you enjoy your insomnia:

• Take a walk. Taking walks at night is always interesting: the walking clears your head, and I guarantee your city or town is a different place without the sun. Of course, you may want to bring a dog or a friend along for safety reasons--even if you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, it’s not a good idea to wander around alone in the dark.
  • Watch some silly YouTube videos. You literally have nothing else to do, so you don’t have to feel guilty about watching 20 different videos of cats falling.
  • Watch anything Starkid. AVPM, AVPS, Starship, and HMB are entertaining no matter what the hour, and the upside of YouTube musicals is you can skip to your favorite parts more easily (Personally I’m a fan of the scene in Starship where Up pours his heart out to Bug, and the scene in HMB where Robin and Batman meet for the first time, but that’s just me).
  • Catch up on your pleasure reading. During the day you have school to distract you from The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, but at 4 AM when the Tylenol PM is nowhere to be found, you having nothing to stop you from reading your heart out.
  • Eat whatever the heck you want. If you actually hope to sleep, this might not be a good idea because chances are whatever you want to eat is full of sugar and/or caffeine. However, if you’ve given up on the idea of going to sleep before the sun, feel free to eat both of those donuts, some yogurt, and some straight peanut butter. Why the hellcat not? It’s 5 AM and you're an insomniac.
  • Nick at Nite. Nick at Nite is a gift to all insomniacs; it’s full of endless entertaining shows from the ‘80s and ‘90s. You know you’re dying for some Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
  • Aimlessly surf the internet. Start with Google: look up whatever pops into your head and follow the links. This will kill hours, and it will do it fast.
  • Homework. You’re up, you might as well finish that paper on water imagery in “The Horse-Dealer’s Daughter.” Oh, come on. We all know this is never going to happen.
  • Catch up on your favorite shows. You’ve got more than ten hours to kill and you missed Bones and Psych this week. When you’re a busy student who also can’t sleep, Hulu can be your best friend. It only took one night of insomnia for me to get almost completely caught up on Supernatural.
  • Watch the sunrise. Being an insomniac has some real perks, one of which is watching the sun come up. For the full effect, find a window facing east, but really watching from any window facing outside affords a view of the sky changing color marvelously.
  • Create a playlist on your iPod called “Lullaby,” “Can’t sleep,” or “Where the heck’s the Tylenol PM?” Fill this playlist with the most relaxing music you and your family collectively own so as to (hopefully) prevent this from happening again.

Post by: dac213

What do you do when you can't sleep?

Related Post: What to Do When You Can't Sleep

Wanna write for SparkLife? Read this first!

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, sleep, college, sleeping, insomnia, life, staying up late, late nights, nights

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners