In Defense of Ke$ha: 10 Reasons the Girl's Not the Worst
It's easy to be hard on Ke$ha. The girl is a mess. And her music is reminiscent of something an insane rodent wrote in a garbage scraps-induced food coma. But hold up. The girl is okay. She is not the worst. Here are ten reasons we're standing up for her. Who's with us?
1. She has super high standards. She told Glamour, "I'm in the middle of writing a new record. I'm taking so many different instrument lessons. I'm also designing animal-friendly jewelry and a fake-fur line. So if a man is not, like, the second coming, then what's the point? I have other s--t to do." We should all think the same way. Don't get a boyfriend or girlfriend just because, get one because he or she is the awesome-est.
2. We have to admit, we voluntarily listen to Tik Tok. Does anyone want to join us in admitting this song is fun to listen to? If you are in a comical mood and want to laugh and dance and be ridiculous?
3. She sings about dinosaurs. WHO DOESN'T LOVE DINOSAURS?! WHO!?
4. She isn't afraid of what others think, and embraces the ugly. If she didn't, she wouldn't have gotten her hair cut like this. Or this. Or pulled any of her crazy looks. We may not want them, but they're not boring, right? If you think Ke$ha's style is the worst, ask yourself which is worse: her style, or boring. (Hint: Boring is worse.)
5. She is honest and straightforward. About her faults, particularly. Like when she peed in the street and posted a pic of it. If you were friends with her, you know she would keep things real. Yeah I peed in the street. Yeah I stole the cookie from the cookie jar. No, I don't recycle. Whatever. At least I didn't say women shouldn't be allowed to vote or look like this.
6. She's smart. Believe it or not, her IQ is higher than 140 and she scored a 1500 on the SATs (back when it was a 1600-point range). If I were in school with her, I would have been copying her homework, not rolling my eyes at her.
7. She may write terrible songs, but at least she appreciates good music. Ke$ha took time out of her busy life brushing her teeth with Jack Daniels to cover Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright." And it's pretty good. And it benefits Amnesty International.
8. She expresses herself in other art forms. Such as blogs called Put Your Beard In My Mouth. No comment as to whether or not this is a worthwhile endeavor, but at least she's trying.
9. She loves animals. People who love animals are good people. And Ke$ha's planned wildlife documentary is proof that her wild side has more to do than her crazy hairstyles. She told Just Jared, "I just got back from Africa two weeks ago. I had the best time with one of my girlfriends. And now we're putting together an entire series and documentary about endangered species." She's also the first global ambassador for the Humane Society International.
10. Taio Cruz thinks her singing is "awesome." Well, there's one person.
So Ke$ha. She's alright, right?