Once again, finals week is upon us. That is, it’s the week before finals week, lovingly dubbed "hell week" by my school, presumably because it's actually worse than finals week itself.
I don’t really have it in me to NOT spend every free moment complaining about my professors and the amount of work they assign. But for now, I’ll restrict myself to one complaint: Seriously, what kind of physics prof gets so far behind in the lecture schedule that he has to make the problem set on photons, matter waves, and nuclear energy due for extra credit, then decides that photons, matter waves, and nuclear energy are still fair game for the final? He’s going to have to prepare himself for a strongly worded student review.
Funnily enough, letting myself complain for that one brief moment didn’t actually make me less stressed out. The opposite, in fact.
Here are a few actual ways to beat finals week stress:
1. Don’t forget to eat. I did this for a few days in a row last week… surprising, considering how extremely important food is to me.
2. Don’t forget to sleep. By that, I mean that sleep is way more important than than the extra few hours of studying you're trying to cram in before a test. I’m pretty sure science proved it once or twice.
3. Don’t become uncontrollably obsessed with Breaking Bad the week before finals. Yes, I KNOW it’s on Netflix, but I’m on season 3 when I probably shouldn’t even have made the time to finish season 1, and I don’t want you to get sucked in too.
4. Do what you have to in order to make sure you stay off Facebook. Plenty of my friends have temporarily deleted theirs.
5. If you find yourself in panic mode, try any of my recommended stress relievers! These include:
- Punching something. BEDS, PILLOWS, PILES OF CLOTHES, OR EXPERTLY DESIGNATED PUNCHING BAGS ONLY. Walls hurt.
- Playing music/making art/writing something. Do anything creative. That is unless, of course, you are a music/art/English major. For you, extra creativity would probably only make things worse.
- Exercising. Go for a walk, do curl ups, pushups, whatever. Just enough to get your blood moving a bit; it does wonders for your focus and productivity. Trust me. I don’t even LIKE exercising normally.
- Clean your room and do your laundry. I know this sounds disgustingly productive, but you’d be surprised what a difference it can make.
- Steal a dog. Or just, you know, walk around campus/your neighborhood/wherever in the midafternoon until you find someone walking their dog, and ask if you can say hi. Dogs are likely the least stressed out beings in existence, we should all try to emulate them a bit more. In that respect only.
Good luck and happy studying!
Ginger’s Song of the Week: This is simply a great song. That was maybe featured on Breaking Bad.
Are you in hell week? How's it going?
Related post: Top 15 Symptoms of Procrastination