Skip over navigation

5 Things We Need to Know About The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

5 Things We Need to Know About The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

By Scott Greenstone

The MindHut

The Hobbit trailer has been out for some time, but it's still managing to puzzle us. Have a look.

Here are some questions we have:

1. What's up with Galadriel and Gandalf? Why does she touch his hair like that? They wouldn't try and make anything of these two, would they? That would be strange, weird, and it just wouldn't work out.

2. Why is Gandalf at Weathertop? Or wherever he is when he's walking and looking around suspiciously. And,

3. Who is Eyepatch Wizard and why are he and Gandalf in a spat? Is this what was supposed to have happened while Gandalf leaves in The Hobbit? He went and got in a wizard tussle with One-Eyed Grandpa Bart? If you'll notice, Gandalf is getting into wizard tussles all the time. For an old guy, he sure is pugnacious.

4. Is there going to be more plot than in the book? The Hobbit is a classic. I've loved it since I was a kid, and it was one of the first books my dad ever read to me. So hear me out when I say it doesn't have much of an overarching plot. Bilbo goes on a journey to kill a dragon, doesn't kill the dragon, but somebody else does, and then everybody fights. But this is fine, because the journey is fun and The Hobbit is more a tale of beginnings, not a tale of beginnings and then endings.

However, director Peter Jackson may be a banking on a more involved plot that will fly in the box office. So what will he throw in to guarantee Bilbo's journey will be memorable? Remember, this is only the first of two films to be made from one book.

5. Who will the villain be? One of the reasons The Hobbit's plot isn't incredibly involved is that there is no active antagonist. They meet loads of evil things along the way—the trolls, the goblins, the Wargs, the giant spiders, etc.—and the one they're all trying to defeat in the end is the dragon, Smaug, but will Jackson change this? Will he try to intensify the movie with a more involved antagonist? If so, we see one of three possibilities;

-The Goblin King Azog, who the book talks about. He never meets the main characters face to face, but he is the king who commands all the goblins and is eventually responsible for bringing those huge hordes of orcs to Lonely Mountain. Is it possible Jackson would try to incorporate him?

-The Necromancer, also mentioned in The Hobbit. He's really Sauron in pre-flaming eye form, but nobody knew that at the time of The Hobbit. The whole reason Gandalf keeps leaving throughout The Hobbit is that he's hanky-pankying with some other wizards and trying to figure out how to get rid of Sauron. Could Jackson incorporate Sauron in the plot of The Hobbit somehow?

-Smaug, the dragon. But this would be hard, because all Smaug does until Thorin and company get there is sit around on his gold. Not a very active antagonist.

This movie needs to come out, like, now.

Topics: Books, Mindhut, Summer Movies
Tags: movies, lists, trailers, the hobbit, jrr tolkien, books-and-comics

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Scott Greenstone

I write freely.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners