Skip over navigation

What To Wear When It's Anchors Aweigh

What To Wear When It's Anchors Aweigh

By kat_rosenfield

You know what's more fun than sailing? (Note: If you just yelled, "Sailors!," then... well, you're right, but this is not that sort of post.) For me, it's dressing up in a nautical look inspired by the seafaring fashions of yesteryear. Wide-legged, high-waisted pants! Navy blue tailored tops with white piping! A jaunty sailor's cap (which I don't have, but wish I did!)

I put this look together after watching a couple of classic movies in which ladies wore wonderful, casual outfits like these to do a little daytime strolling down the deck of a fiance's yacht or a trans-Atlantic cruise ship—because while I may not be able to afford a trans-Atlantic cruise (dang), this stylish silhouette is still within reach. And despite the vintage appeal, all the pieces that make up this outfit were purchased at contemporary clothing stores in the past year or so, which means that this entire ensemble was achieved without subjecting myself to the unpleasantness of itchy wool pants. Yay!

Instead, I made my go-to office-job trousers from Express (remember the famous Editor pants?) pull double duty as the cornerstone of a 1930s-style sailing look, along with a white-trimmed jersey top, a long string of knotted pearls, and retro-style suede heels in a beautiful ocean blue hue. (And then I posed like a ninny while saluting with the wrong hand, but whatever, you can't have everything.)

Head to toe: top, H&M; pants, Express; shoes, Nine West Outlet; jewelry, Marshalls.

And a shoe closeup!

Somebody ring the Captain and let him know that I'm ready to come aboard, would you? Thanks awfully.

How would you style yourself for a classic voyage on the maiden seas?

Related post: What to Wear When You Don't Feel Like Getting Dressed

Topics: Fashion
Tags: spark style, nautical style, sailors

Write your own comment!

About the Author
kat_rosenfield

Kat Rosenfield is a writer, illustrator, advice columnist, YA author, and enthusiastic licker of that plastic liner that comes inside a box of Cheez-Its. She loves zombies and cats. She hates zombie cats. Follow her on Twitter or Tumblr @katrosenfield.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.