Skip over navigation

Five Songs For National Physics Day Caroling

Five Songs For National Physics Day Caroling

By Michael Verity

The MindHut

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the pollen is falling from the trees, throttling you like pellets of hale. Yes, it’s springtime, which can mean only one thing, for certain. It’s time to dust off that antique superconductor Dad brought home as a war souvenir, get the kids excited about the annual cosmic rays harvest and start shopping for a new particle separator for Grandma. That’s right: it’s National Physics Day.

Along with all the last minute shopping for just the right superstring bikini for your girlfriend, it’s time for decorating the Physics Tree with gluons and bosons and entering the kids in the annual Karl Jansky coloring contest. It’s time for gathering around the Large Hadron Collider to roast quarks and leptons and, most of all, it’s time to gather friends and family to sing those beloved Physics Carols.

Who can resist the sound of joyous voices outside your front door, offering choruses of “Deck the Halls with Boughs of Heliosphere” and “O, Come All Ye Surface Tension Catastrophes?” But, in order to win over the kids, it’s important to work some new sounds into the mix. Here are five of physics' biggest hits.

John Mayer’s “Gravity”: Who doesn’t get a little tingle down their spine when Johnny sings: “Oh, I’ll never know what makes this man, with all the dark matter he can stand, dream of ways he can to throw it all into an atomic hypotheses.” What poetry!

Rush’s “Super Conductor”: “Package the illusion of quantum gravity, baryon asymmetry concealed,” squeals singer Geddy Lee. “The fact she’s only too real, she’s got to accelerate the universe.” And you thought the “Super Conductor” was the guy in the Thomas the Train movies.

Incubus’ “Black Heart Inertia”: Hmmm. The satisfying sound of rock stars contemplating heavy subjects like inertia, big bangs, black hearts, firing pistols and black coffee. It’s guaranteed to bring your Grandma to tears when you sing your solo, standing next to that shiny new particle separator.

MGMT’s “Electric Feel”: No, it’s not a song about when a boy and girl discover their mutual love for Bose-Einstein condensate. But, with lyrics like “shock me like an electric eel, baby girl,” you can be certain they’re at least speaking in the hushed tones of electromagnetism.

Television’s “Friction”: Physics was only 5 or 6 centuries old when punker Tom Verlaine sang “you give me friction, but I dig friction, you know I’m crazy about friction.” Just as Jose Feliciano knew “Feliz Navidad” would be a Christmas classic, Verlaine had to know this would become a dearly loved National Physics Day favorite.

Got any other Physic Day Phavorites you wanna add?

Topics: Music, Mindhut
Tags: music, funniest

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!