Skip over navigation

How to Speak Australian Slang

How to Speak Australian Slang

By Janet Manley

Sometimes, as a native Australian, people don't understand me when I'm talking to them in the bonza ol'  U.S. of A. And it is true that occasionally I try to get in the driver's seat when a taxi pulls over to pick me up. And that I have tried, once or twice, to climb into a deer's pouch for a joyride. (You know what's weird? Deer don't have pouches.) More frequently, my requests for a "good pash" are met with blank stares. WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME, AMERICA?!

In an effort to smooth over our relationship, I offer the following insider communique regarding top secret Aussie lingo, the way we really speak it in the homeland  (which lies a little ways beyond the strip mall Outback Steakhouse restaurant). For conversational prowess, I offer a brief example of standard bogan dialogue after each entry, so put on your thongs, sit your dates down and study with me! Dare you to try speak Australian, dingoes!

Boot = trunk. “Sounds like a wallaby is jumping around inside the boot.”

Bonnet = hood of the car. “Let’s take a look under the bonnet.”

Carpark = parking lot. “I’m stuck in the carpark. Found a possum under the bonnet.”

Footpath = sidewalk. “I guess I’ll walk home on the footpath, seeing as my car is kaputt.”

Sausage sizzle = barbecue. “What’s this! A sausage sizzle right when a hungry bloke needs a pick-me-up.”

Sanger = sandwich. “Two sausage sangers, please.”

Booner curls = where the hair at the nape of the neck gets long and starts to curl. “Check out the booner curls on the guy with the tongs!”

Bogan = redneck. “Choice mullet on the bogan manning the lamington stall.”

Stevo = Steve. “Hold on, that’s Stevo! Maaaate, what are chances of a free lammo?”

Johnno = John or Jonathan. “Dunno, Johnno. Looks like you have your hands full with your sanger right there.”

Bodgy = not right. “Aw, come on, buddy, I walked here, my car’s all bodgy.”

Bingle = prang. “What happened, you get into a bingle?”

Chuck a wobbly = lose your cool. “Nah, possum under the bonnet. Almost chucked a wobbly over it.”

Date = butt. “No way! Hey, sit your date down for a minute.”

Shindig = party. “Sure thing, this is a good shindig.”

In the nuddy = in the nude. “Btw, I was at the cricket and someone streaked across the field totally in the nuddy.”

Rello = relative. “Choice! Wasn’t a rello of yours, was it?”

Budgie smugglers = Speedo. “Haha, nah, unless they were wearing budgie smugglers, in which case it could have been my dad.”

Spag bol = spaghetti bolognese. “Your dad might like a tiny cossie, but he does make a mean spag bol.”

Arvo = afternoon. “How good is this arvo?”

Pash = kiss. “Couldn’t be better than if some sheila randomly gave me a pash.”

Icy pole = popsicle. “Don’t like your chances. Want an icypole instead?”

Root = have sex. “Did you hear that Ryan Gosling is rooting Eva Mendes?”

Flamin’ galah = idiot. “You’re a flamin’ galah, have you been reading US Weekly again?”

Trash mag = tabloid magazine. “Nothing wrong with reading my sister’s trash mags.”

Doona = quilt. “Except when you sneak them into your room and read them under your doona like you’re embarrassed.”

Bonza = great! “That section ‘Celebrities are just like us’ is bonza.”

Esky = cooler. “Any Fantas in that esky?”

Thong = flip flops. “Sure, if you get your thongs off it.”

Hold up: the word for "butt" is date?! Our minds=blown. What's your favorite Aussie slang?

Topics: Life
Tags: kissing, english, slang, funny things, australian, dingo, possum, pash

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Janet Manley

Janet's desk was moved into the hall for the duration of coursework on Roman numerals in grade four, and she cannot tell one Rocky from another to this day. Her spirit animal is a wombat, and she has not written a novel. Dauntless, Gryffindor, Mockingjay. She tweets @janetmanley

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.