Skip over navigation

Teen Must-Read: The Fault in Our Stars

Teen Must-Read: The Fault in Our Stars

By Contributor

dac213 continues her new series by reviewing a Sparkler favorite!

Book: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Synopsis: I could give you a pretty corny summary about how Hazel and Augustus learn to love, or learn to cope with the even-more-present-than-usual specter of death. But that wouldn’t really capture the wonder that is The Fault in Our Stars. That’s right; I’m a JG fan now, happy? Suffice to say that it’s a ridiculously cerebral, highly philosophic, bloody amazing novel about a girl named Hazel who has cancer and is coping, and this pretty cool guy named Augustus who also had cancer. They fall in love, but there’s a lot more to it than that.

Is this a “must-read”?: Yep.

Why?: If My Sister’s Keeper had a baby with Romeo and Juliet, and that kid took a bunch of philosophy classes and then spent time at Camp Tearjerker, that kid would grow up to be The Fault in Our Stars. My gosh. It was so…real. That’s cliché too, but there’s no other way to describe it. JG doesn’t sugarcoat; he exposes all the BS that must necessarily follow from having a terminal illness as a kid. He lays it out: cancer sucks, and no amount of inspirational quotes will change that.

Hazel is confidence pants personified; I wish I had half of her self-assurance. Augustus is just a ball of philosophic, romantic, honest, charismatic, er, awesomeness. Unlike 98% of all YA romances out there, this one doesn’t make you want to throw up from all the corniness, or sigh at all the clichés; this is what cool, smart, quirky teenagers do when they’re in love and when they have Cancer Perks (that’s explained in the book, honest). Every single character has some kind of extra depth, and the ones that don’t are meant to be shallow, so it works.

TFIOS will pull you in and won’t let you go until the last page—when you inevitably keep tapping, because surely your Nook is malfunctioning (is that really the end?!). It operates on its own plane in a way most novels wish they could, and, above all, it’s honest, so freakin’ honest… So go read it. Why are you still sitting there? Get thee to a library, bookstore, or website that sells books!

Next time: The Hunger Games (y’all knew this was coming)

Post by dac213!

YAY, we're so glad dac loved TFIOS! And we know you guys want to talk more about it, so go ahead and flood the comments section with variations of "I LURVE YOU FOREVER, AUGUSTUS WATERS!"

Related post: John Green Answers YOUR Questions!

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books we love, ya novels, book reviews, bn.com, book recommendations, john green, teen fiction, the fault in our stars, blogging b&n.com's must-reads, teen must reads

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!