Skip over navigation

So You Want to Make a Viral Video

So You Want to Make a Viral Video

By Contributor

So you think that you have the brains, the talent, and the unbeatable big-head+British-accent combination to be the next internet sensation? Well then your confidence level is exactly at the delusional state we want it to be in! For while marketers in every company around the world are desperately using their business degree-trained minds to create a YouTube phenomenon, you obviously have an edge. YOU are the target audience. YOU are that ever-frustrating enigma that the men in ties cannot unravel. YOU like to use puns. LEGGO.

Step 1: Come up with an AWESOME YouTube name. Seriously, no one is going to want to follow Amanda.Jones (sorry if there is an Amanda Jones reading this, but dude, you really should have done with something like AMANDAlinquent). Something funny, or punny, or just plain weird is usually best to grab attention.

Examples: forksagainstspoons111, Unicornsmultiplecorns, DOOMsunflowers—you get the idea.

Step 2: Pick an idea. THIS IS THE HARDEST PART. Choosing which genre, whether it be music video, comedy sketch, or random filming of life, is a good start. But, the most important thing is to do something that’s true to you and something you and your friends would want to watch. If you don’t think it’s funny, no one else will think it’s funny. If you're an organized, Type A personality, try a writing a script for a short video. If you’re a more spur-of-the-moment person, choose a crazy activity for the day and film it. If you like sculpting tiny pieces of pasta and drawing faces on them, do a stop motion video!

Tips:

Being original is essential. Just how you don’t want to watch 100 different covers of Call Me Maybe, people don’t want to see something they’ve seen before. You need a unique spin and voice. You can talk about something someone else created, like a TV show or movie, but you have to talk about it in a NEW way.

Be current! You are what’s hot right now. What do you think is cool? What do you think sucks? Talk about that. Talk about NOW (or how now affects and gives a new perspective on something older). I mean, you don’t want to be caught talking about something that is so 10 minutes ago, do you? It’s like when Glee does a song that you’re already sick of—bad news bears.

Don’t break YouTube’s rules. They have some restrictions on songs you can incorporate and other such things, so check out their guidelines beforehand. You don’t want all your hard work to get taken down because of a technicality.

Be the best! This may seem hard, but it is the most talented, the funniest, and the weirdest people that get a lot of hits. Really go for it!

Step 3: Make the video! Decide if you’re going solo (because who wants to share the spotlight or royalties?) or if you want your friends to join in. You’ll need some sort of camera, whether it be a fancy-shmancy one or a flip cam. You’ll also probably need some way to edit it unless you’re a film genius who only needs one take.

Step 4: Publicize your video. Share it on your Facebook and Twitter. Let people know that you have done something awesome that they NEED TO KNOW ABOUT. Don’t worry about being annoying. What you’ve done is brilliant and people should be thanking you for sharing your magical art with them.

Step 5: Watch those views roll in! Try to be a likable famous person. Humble, of course, but also still exciting. You know, obviously grateful for the extreme success that’s come your way, but not so boring that you feel like you’re wasting your fame. You could probably skips steps 1-4 for now and just practice your Academy Award acceptance speech. Maybe something like: “Well of course I’ll check my schedule, Chris Hemsworth, but I just don’t know if I can fit you in this week.” THIS IS GOING TO GO GREAT.

Post by collegestudentsaywhat?

What kind of video would you make?

Topics: Life, The Internets
Tags: guides, youtube, funny things, how to, viral videos, tips

Write your own comment!