Skip over navigation

The Nerdiest Places to Go on Spring Break

The Nerdiest Places to Go on Spring Break

By Elodie

Forget beaches, swimsuits, and sunshine. Books, video games, and WiFi—now that's the way to go. If you really need to release your inner nerd this spring break, meander on over to these geeky vacation spots:

The Library Hotel: Imagine my shock when I read Lemony Snicket’s The Penultimate Peril and later discovered that the Hotel Denouement was modeled after a REAL PLACE. The Library Hotel in New York City has ten floors, each with a different theme in accordance with the Dewey Decimal System, and each room on each floor correlates with a subcategory—as in, the fifth floor is the Math & Science floor with a dinosaurs subcategory, and the eighth floor is the Literature floor with subcategories in fairy tales and classic fiction! HOW COOL IS THAT? I’ve taken so many virtual tours of this place, I’m convinced I’ve already stayed there. There’s a Reading Room, a Writer’s Den, and a Poetry Garden. Also, they serve cocktails named things like "The Great Gatsby" and "the Capote" in the BOOKMARKS LOUNGE. If you're not already sold, have I mentioned there are books EVERYWHERE? Books aplenty? Books coming out the wazoo? Make a reservation! Do it NOW! Why aren’t you there already?!

Geek Cruises: I'm not lying! IT'S A THING! You know the problem with vacations? They’re not EDUCATIONAL enough. So imagine taking a seafaring voyage and learning all about solar eclipses or the intricacies of chess at the same time! InSight Cruises offers cruises with names like Java Jam, Transit of Venus, and Mac Mania. Now when you go on vacation with your family, they can't get on your case when you geek the place up the whole time.

The Hall of Heroes Superhero Museum: If you're taking a road trip, you might want to roll on over to Elkhart, Indiana—home to one of the greatest superhero collections in the WORLD. The Hall of Heroes Superhero Museum is a recreation of the Hall of Justice with over 50,000 comic books, as well as original TV and movie props and action figures GALORE. It's every junior Justice Leaguer's dream come true! (My babysitter once told me I could be Kid Flash someday, but that was only because I was nagging her while she was on the phone with her boyfriend. Her flagrant disregard for the integrity of the original Teen Titans continues to flabbergast me.) Have I mentioned the Hall of Heroes has a replica of the Batcave, and that you can slide down the Batpole? I haven't? Well, now I have, so you might as well join the masses as they race to Indiana in their replica Batmobiles.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: You knew this was coming. DON'T LIE! YOU KNEW! The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is part of Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando, and it's ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. Well, okay, I've never been there, but how could it NOT be the greatest wonder to ever grace the modern world? It has Hogsmeade, complete with the Three Broomsticks (with actual, literal BUTTERBEER), Honeydukes (where you can buy Chocolate Frogs, Cauldron Cakes, and Bertie Bott's Every-Flavour Beans), and Zonko's Joke Shop (AHHHHH)! There are also rides involving dragons, Hippogriffs, and Hogwarts Castle itself. If you heard something just now, that was the Potterhead within me bursting forth with a primal scream, brandishing a dragon core wand and shrieking incantations.

WE WANT TO DO ALL OF THESE. How will you spend your spring break?

Related post: Best Fictional Spring Break Destinations

Image credit: http://www.libraryhotel.com/media/images/library/gallery/photos/Exterior.jpg

Topics: Life
Tags: travel, nerds, superheroes, vacation, geeks, funny things, traveling, spring break, hotels, nerdy things, wizarding world of harry potter, museums, cruises, the library hotel, lemony snickett

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

Writer. College student. Good at losing her keys, eating breakfast sandwiches, and holding lifelong grudges. She realizes none of these things will help her survive a zombie apocalypse, and she’s made her peace with that. You can follow her on Twitter @elleohdee, but it’s just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.