Skip over navigation

The Coolest Fictional Black Characters

The Coolest Fictional Black Characters

By Contributor

dac213 shouts out the characters who make black nerds proud! —Sparkitors

There's a little more to the month of February than cold weather, love, and prom preparation: namely, Black History Month. In honor of that, I’d like to present this list of the bravest, coolest, smartest, nerdiest, most bad@$$ fictional black people I can think of.

Martha Jones (Dr. Who): The Doctor’s rebound from Rose proves herself to be more than just someone to take up space in the TARDIS. Martha is smart, brave, and selfless. She cares more about her family than she does about the doctor (a trait Rose seems to lack, which always kinda bugged me), as shown when she ultimately decides to leave him and stay on Earth. Martha Jones is the companion who meets Shakespeare (who writes a sonnet about her), works as a maid to look out for the doctor while he’s disguised as a human schoolteacher, and, oh yeah, she saves the freakin’ world! By herself, basically! Shove that up your bad wolf, Rose!

Pretty much any character played by Denzel Washington (ever): He’s Denzel. Any character he plays immediately becomes amazing, even if that character is technically a bad guy (if you don’t believe me, just watch American Gangster, and then tell me that a part of you didn’t admire Frank Lucas’s business sense, if nothing else).

Nasuada (The Inheritance Cycle): She’s about the same age as most of us, or a bit older, and she manages to lead the second-largest army in Alagaesia against a seemingly-undefeatable magical evil king. She keeps the patchwork forces of the Varden together, makes incredibly difficult decisions for the good of the rebellion, and refuses to give up. She’s probably one of the strongest female fantasy characters ever. Not to mention her confidence pants, because knowing for sure that you’re the best option for High Queen and not being afraid to say so definitely requires a serious pair of ‘em. If that’s not epic enough, she withstands torture, is one of the few to stand up to the jerky King Orrin, and has excellent taste in men.

Kofi (Jericho trilogy): Kofi has to be the adult in his house because his parents are too busy playing the lottery to pay for his college education. Despite this, he manages to get into one of the best schools in the country, and finds a way to pay for it. Sometimes the toughest obstacles come from your own family, and Kofi overcomes those obstacles with panache (and a pretty cool girlfriend).

Dana (Jericho trilogy): Dana’s not afraid to break the rules, especially when those rules are unfair. She may be as stubborn as a box of Roran Stronghammers, but she’s also incredibly strong, brave, and loyal to her friends. She dates the smart, tech-savvy, and no-choice-but-to-be-mature Kofi, and is willing to risk everything to do what she thinks is right.

November Nelson (Jericho trilogy): You know what’s hard? Being a single mom. You know what’s harder? Being a teenage single mom. You know what makes that harder? The fact that your boyfriend/the father of your child is dead, his parents want custody of your child, your own family life is far from ideal, and your kid might have mental problems in the future. But November handles all of this with grace and without drowning in a pool of self-pity and sulk (unlike a certain other female lit character I know who sits staring into space for six months straight when her boyfriend leaves). She manages to be a teenager at times without ever forgetting the seriousness of her situation, and in the end she finds the inner strength to overcome everything and make a life for herself and her daughter.

Special Agent Derek Morgan (Criminal Minds): Easily the sexiest guy on Criminal Minds, Derek is much more than a pretty face and excellent abs. He’s genuinely sweet, often putting victims at ease (ya know, on the rare occasion there’s a live one), and his flirty rapport with Penelope is a joy to watch. He’s kind of a big brother figure to Spencer, and he keeps Hotch from losing it on more than one occasion. Not to mention that he’s a great profiler.

Mabel “Madea” Simmons (various Tyler Perry movies): She’s hilarious, violent, always looking out for her family (no matter how vague the relation), and technically a man. But when Madea’s not resisting arrest, driving through fast food restaurants, and threatening to shoot people, she’s giving genuinely wise advice.

Dr. Camille Saroyan (Bones): It takes a special person to keep the Jeffersonian’s geniuses in line, and that person is Cam Saroyan. She knows exactly when to reign in Hodgens &co and when to let them go, she’s probably one of the few non-geniuses Bones genuinely respects, and when she screws up, she usually does it while going out of her way to do something nice.

Burton “Gus” Guster (Psych): Gus is hilarious, even without Shawn there to give him silly nicknames. He keeps Shawn grounded, and provides the stability that keeps Psych existing. He’s about the best friend you could ever have. He can get uptight at times, but the uptightness is always tempered by his essentially fun-loving nature.

Carlton Banks (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air): I think I speak for the majority of black nerds when I say Carlton is an inspiration to us all. He’s one of the few characters who makes it seem okay to be both black and an enormous dork. Plus he’s absolutely hilarious—his dance moves could make Voldemort laugh, his obsession with getting into his dream college is something I think all of us can relate to, and Will probably couldn’t have made it without him.

Got anyone to add to dac's list?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: sparkler posts, tv, books, black history month, fantasy series, fantasy novels, fictional characters

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners