Skip over navigation

Valentine's Day Presents Under $10

Valentine's Day Presents Under $10

By Valerie Burn

Just because you’re broke doesn’t mean you can’t find a cute gift for your cutie with only one night to prep. Valentine’s Day is not about lavish, over-the-top presents—it’s just about showing that you care.

Here are some cheap, free, and simple Valentine’s Day gift ideas. YOU'RE WELCOME.

1. Cupcakes.

Cupcakes are a cute and easy way to show you care enough about someone to spend approximately an hour baking them something. Figure out your cutie’s favorite flavor combo—chocolate and peanut butter, vanilla and lemon, Dr. Pepper—and whip up a batch.

2. Mix CD.

A mix CD is the ultimate “I think about you all the time and I might love you” gift. It’s a little cliché, but as long as you steer clear of cheesy Taylor Swift songs and legitimately find some songs that describe how you feel, you’ll stay on the cool side of the equation. Even cooler is making a CD of not-necessarily-love songs you like, and think your boo might like too.

3. Something to add to a collection.

Whether you actually support your significant other’s weird stamp or Lego keychain collection is irrelevant. Get your guy or gal a little something to add to the shelf, such as these Romanian postage stamps featuring ugly animals.

4. Art.

Art does not have to be expensive. By all means, if you’re talented, you should make something. But we’re not all talented. In fact, most of us aren’t. Etsy is a great resource for finding cheap, interesting, and original artwork—like these images that are printed on book pages. (Personally, this writer likes the cactus.)

5. A small photo album.

This is one of those gifts that are both awesome to receive and easy to make—a total win-win. Simply load images of you two onto a CD, and take it to a CVS, Walgreens, Target, or anywhere else with a photo kiosk. Hand over the CD, and by the time you find a cute photo album to put the pictures in, your photos will be ready.

6. A copy of your favorite book.

One of our favorite gifts to give is our favorite book. It’s personal, gives you something to discuss later, and shows you want to share your life. And yet it’s so easy, you can just hand over your personal copy with a nice note inside. It was scary giving my boyfriend my well-worn, note-riddled, personal copy of Franny and Zooey, but at least he was nice enough to give it back when we broke up. Or maybe I demanded it back. Semantics.

7. Or, a silly book you know your honey would enjoy.

The alternative to the kind-of-personal “here’s a copy of my favorite book” strategy is deflecting with squee-inducing images of cute animals.

What little trinket are you giving for Vday?

Topics: Valentine's Day
Tags: relationships, valentine's day, gifts, boyfriends

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.