Skip over navigation

How to Make Zucchini Latkes

How to Make Zucchini Latkes

By Shivani

So far I have spent the entirety of my college career lusting after various men (I’m using the term "men" loosely). For no particular reason, all of these men happen to be Jewish. This means hanging out with them and getting to know them also involves getting to know the Jewish faith. It’s pretty interesting, and it’s cool that they all have more to them than being devilishly handsome. A huge plus of my affinity for God’s chosen people means I also get to meet people like Tamara, who very graciously took me to her apartment and showed me how to make zucchini latkes.

Her logic is that deliciousness should not be restricted to certain times of year (latkes are traditionally eaten around Hanukkah), plus they have a bit of greenness to them that adds a tiny element of health. But really, no logic is necessary: latkes are simply amazing. Eat them by the dozen and smother them with everything from sour cream to applesauce. The only thing that remains to be seen is if these guys think of me as one of their chosen people or as their eleventh plague.

Zucchini Latkes

Makes 3 dozen two-inch latkes

Ingredients
1 pound zucchini
1 large potato
1 small onion
½ cup matzo meal
1 large egg
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
hefty pinch salt
hefty pinch pepper
vegetable oil for frying

Directions

1. Halve the zucchini twice lengthwise. Cut out the seeds from the center and discard. Coarsely shred the remainder of the zucchini in a food processor. Place in a colander.
  2. Peel both the potato and the onion and shred them in the food processor.
  3. Place the potato and onion in the colander with the zucchini and squeeze dry. Let stand for a few minutes and squeeze again.
  4. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the matzo, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Combine fully.
  5. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until shimmering. Drop spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture onto the skillet and flatten them with the back of a spatula.
  6. Cook the latkes over medium high heat until the edges are golden, or about 1 ½ minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute.
  7. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
  8. Repeat until all the zucchini mixture is used, adding more oil as needed.

Does anyone else love latkes? And hunky Jewish guys?

Topics: Life
Tags: crushes, recipes, jewish, cooking with shivani, latkes

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shivani

Shivani is a blogger and college student living in Miami, Florida. She’s usually rocking a serious topknot and always trying to realize her life’s ambition of getting her own reality show. In her spare time she blogs about boys, school, and makeup on www.missaluru.wordpress.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @padmashiv.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.