Skip over navigation

Spotlight on: Sutton Foster

Spotlight on: Sutton Foster

By Contributor

Performer_for_Life's got the rundown on the ultimate Broadway girl crush. –Sparkitors

A few weeks ago I was watching the Kennedy Center's totally awesome tribute to Broadway legend Barbara Cook, and my heart almost gave out at the sheer amount of star power on the stage at once. All my idols singing show tunes at the same time! I could have died. I did die. And then I watched the rest of the program from my grave. Anyway, school sadly rolled around again, and one of the first questions I asked my best friend was, “Dude! Did you see Sutton Foster on the Kennedy Center tribute?” Her answer: “Who's Sutton Foster?”

Who's Sutton Foster? Be still my beating theater heart!

This was not the first or last time I've been asked that question, so I'm taking it upon myself to educate the SparkNotes community on the Broadway performers that you just gotta know. To celebrate of the creation of the SparkLife Theater Department, and to prevent further ignorance on the awesomeness of Miss Foster, I present to you this Broadway profile:

Name: Sutton Lenore Foster

Trademark: Being Broadway's resident quintuple threat: actor, singer, dancer, comedienne, and acrobat. She demonstrates all this at once in her performance of "Show Off," from The Drowsy Chaperone, in which her character declares she'll never show off again by demonstrating exactly what she won't do—which includes costume changes, escape tricks, snake charming, and even some snappy ventriloquism.

Secret Weapon: Reducing the entire audience to a sloppy puddle of tears. If you don't cry watching this scene, between Jo and Beth from Little Women the Musical, you have no soul. Period.

Tony Awards: Three nominations and two wins—for Thoroughly Modern Millie (2002) and Anything Goes (2011)—all for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical.

Breakout Performance: Millie in Thoroughly Modern Millie. Foster's discovery story played out just like in 42nd Street: she was plucked from the chorus to replace the lead, went out a youngster, and came back a star.

Underrated Performance: Svetlana in the Actor's Fund of America's Benefit Concert of Chess. Though famous for high kicks and brassy, confident roles, Foster stripped everything away to play the estranged wife of a Russian chess champion. This is honestly one of my favorite performances of hers. Look at all the emotions that cross her face here—she barely has to move.

The Performance That Made Everyone Go, “What?”: Princess Fiona in Shrek the Musical. No one knew why a Tony winner was suddenly dressed as an ogre and making fart jokes, but hey, girl embraced it.

Currently: Pounding out seven-minute tap numbers and belting like nobody's business as Reno Sweeney, the evangelist-turned-nightclub singer in the revival of Anything Goes. I saw it a few weeks ago, and it was EPIC.

Look for: Her guest appearance this season on quirky doctor show Royal Pains, and her ABC Family pilot Bunheads (hopefully it gets picked up!), in which she plays a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries and follows her man to a small town, where she takes a job at her mother-in-law's dance studio.

What We Want to Steal (Besides Her Talent): Her attitude. She's apparently the nicest person ever, but beware running into her in an audition: she will quite literally belt your face off. We'd also like her ability to look good in every hair color.

Did you already love Sutton? Do you now?

Related post: A Day in the Life of a Broadway Actress

Wanna write for SparkLife? Read this first!

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: sparkler posts, plays, broadway, sutton foster, tonys

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!