Skip over navigation

The Return of One Year, 100 Books!

The Return of One Year, 100 Books!

By Contributor

LonkstheWriter has been MIA since October 11, but today she's back—and she's got 8 days to complete her epic  challenge! CAN IT BE DONE?—Sparkitors

Hey, Sparklers!

Just for the record, AP Calculus= Death. If you want to blame something for not hearing from me for two months, blame AP Calc. This is what the majority of my evenings were like for those two months:

Splogger Me: MUST. WRITE. SPARKLIFE.

Student Me: Uh, no. You have a calc test tomorrow. If you fail another test, YOU WILL GET A C IN THE CLASS! And you know what C’s mean? PAIN AND AGOGNIZING TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!

Obsessive Reader Me: AHH! I have ten free minutes! MUST. READ. BOOK.

Splogger Me: Yeah, but you still haven’t written an article for the book that you finished last week!

Student Me: CALCULUS TEST!

In conclusion, I’ve been a tad stressed out. But honestly, guys, the third month of my absence can be completely and totally blamed on me. After not writing a single post in two months, I kind of lost my motivation. I told myself that there was no way I could do this, so I might as well give up now. Soon, my friends that have been following my blog started pestering me about it. Then my mother started pestering me about it. I stopped coming on SparkLife because it made me feel nothing but shame. Then, today (as in like 5 minutes ago), I started reading through my old posts. And, you know something, Sparklers are amazing. Because, in reading all of your comments, asking where I’ve been, telling me how much you loved my series, I finally realized that I wasn’t just letting myself down, I was letting you all down. I was sure that you had forgotten me, but lo and behold, there was a comment from about a week ago asking where I was. So, who cares if I have 40 books left to read and two weeks? I’m going to do this. I made a list of the books I read during my absence (which is pathetically short), and you will be getting all of those soon. I WILL SUCEED!

Book #59-63: The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series

Author: Rick Riordan

Reason for Reading: For some reason, I've avoided this series for a while. Maybe I thought I was getting tired of children’s books. Maybe I thought I wanted to move to more “mature” fiction. Who knows? But when an 11-year-old you’ve been babysitting for five years gives you a box set of books for Christmas and begs you to read them, you don't say no.

Quote: “’Husband, we talked about this,’ Persephone chided. ‘You can't go around incinerating every hero. Besides, he's brave. I like that.’ Hades rolled his eyes. ‘You liked that Orpheus fellow too. Look how well that turned out.’” (from The Last Olympian)

Copyright Date: 2005-2009

Length: 1824 pages (collectively)

Genre: Children’s Fantasy

Rating (out of 10 stars): 9 stars

Summary: Percy Jackson has always lived a rather unusual life. Strange things tend to happen around him, and he’s never managed to go for more than a year without getting expelled from a school. Then one day, after his math teacher tries to kill him on a school field trip, a loveable satyr named Grover helps him escape to Camp Half-Blood, where he discovers that mysterious father is none other than Poseidon, god of the sea, and he may be the subject of a prophecy which destines him to either save or destroy Olympus with one choice. That is, if he manages to live to sixteen.

Review: THIS IS NOT CHEATING (Is it? It’s not. I made up the rules, and I say it’s not. So, there!). If I had reviewed all five books separately, you would have just gotten the same review five times. So, I’m saving… um… internet space? That excuse doesn’t really work when you’re not talking about paper…whatever. I digress.

These books are awesome. There's honestly no other way of putting it. I tore through the entire series during the first few days of my Christmas break and I loved them. They're not without their flaws, but the good stuff far outweighs the bad. My biggest problem with the books was that sometimes I couldn’t follow Riordan logic. I never really understood the whole moving of Olympus (i.e. How did it move from Greece to the top of the Empire State Building?) but, honestly, it didn’t bother me much. I mean, they’re children’s books. There are a few things in Harry Potter that don’t logically make sense but we don’t really fuss about it, so I’m not going to complain. The only other problem I had was that Percy Jackson definitely suffers from the “second book slump” that almost every series has. Sea of Monsters was most certainly my least favorite book because it was completely and totally predictable for anyone who has read Homer’s The Odyssey.

In my opinion, what makes a great children’s novel has nothing to do with the plot; it’s all about the characters. Kids love characters that they can connect to; characters that they would be friends with if they were real. And I think Rick Riordan has created a cast of characters worthy of J.K. Rowling. Percy Jackson, the flawed and unconfident hero; Annabeth Chase, the sassy and overachieving love interest; Grover, the passionate and dedicated side-kick; Tyson, the lovable dunce who turns into a great hero—I could go on forever. These people make the series amazing. They will stay in the heart of children for long after the books are closed. Just as I smile remembering Junie B. Jones, Meggie Folchart, Luna Lovegood, and Cinderpelt, these children will always fondly remember Percy Jackson. (Oh, and bonus points if you can name all the books I just mentioned!)

Recommendation: Read this series. Make you younger siblings read it. Make the world read it. These books are incredible.

Lonks now has 8 days to read 41 books (she's up to number 66; those posts are still to come!) Do you think she can do it?

Related post: One Year, 100 Books archives; Click here to check out Lonks' very first post!

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books we love, book reviews, sparkler series, percy jackson, one year 100 books

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!