Skip over navigation

A Special Christmas Hit List

A Special Christmas Hit List

By Contributor

Sick of the standard Christmas carols? Metalhead has some rockin' replacements.—Sparkitors

Call me a Scrooge, but I absolutely hate the weeks leading up to Christmas. And the worst part is the music. I can only take about three runs of Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Winter Wonderland before I start to scream. Thankfully, there's a ton of GOOD Christmas songs out there, and when they're good, they're really, really good. Here's some of the best to relieve you of those cliche Christmas tracks.

Thousand Foot Krutch: Jingle Bell Rock
Talk about tearing it up. TFK takes the 60's Christmas classic and throws in a heavy dose of guitars and a complete reformulation of the lyrics. So instead of simply bobbing your head to "Giddyup jingle horse, pick up your feet" you'll be headbanging to Trevor McNevan's shouts of, "Dancin' and prancin' in jingle bell square, throw 'em up, throw 'em up in the air! JINGLE BELL TIME!" And weirdly, it doesn't sound like they're trying to be funny. This track is hot enough to melt all the snow in your city, so play with caution.

Family Force 5: Do You Hear What I Hear?
One of my least favorite Christmas songs (zzzzz...) gets the gangsta electro treatment by one of my favorite bands. Auto-tune, major drum crashes, and killer instrumentation turn the most boring Christmas song ever into a true epic. Drummer Crouton's rhythmic vocal loop of "Do ya hear what I, do ya hear what I hear?" just adds to the fun. And the fact that it actually sings about the true meaning of Christmas doesn't hurt, either. FF5's also got a sweet beat-bustin' version of "Carol Of The Bells", so check that one out, too!

Bob and Doug McKenzie: The Twelve Days of Christmas
Comedians Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas play two dumb Canadian hoseheads on their album Great White North, featuring this hilarious rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas. First they try to decide which are the twelve days of Christmas (I believe three of them are the Mystery Days), and then they sing (badly) a song of what to get your true love for Christmas. And they only make it up to eight. "On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...eight comic books, seven packs of smokes, six packs of Tuborg (beer), five golden toques (classic Canadian headwear), four pounds of back bacon, three french toasts, two turtlenecks, and a beer. In a tree." Take off, eh.

The Almost: Yule Be Sorry (ha!)
It's just another song by The Almost. But what a song. Mixing typical punk-alternative Almost style with holiday-themed lyrics ("I'll try this year and that's all it's gotta take. I gotta try and get it right next holiday."), this is not one to go to sleep on Christmas Eve to. The Almost also does a sick rendition of "Little Drummer Boy"...it's worth looking up, considering that the lead singer is a great drummer.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)
The original, the classic, the blazingly fast, the awesome. TSO's mix of orchestra and long-haired hard rock has been burning up Christmas stations for about 20 years now, and their first big hit, "Sarajevo 12/24", never gets old. Starting out with a soft guitar part with a somber violin over it, TSO lures you in and then slams you in the face with a huge orchestral guitar sting. And when it cuts into Carol Of The Bells...dang, you have to be there. It's an awesome song for what, despite all the annoying songs and ads and sales, turns out to actually be "the most wonderful time of the year".

Will you be putting these tunes on your holiday playlist?

Related post: How to Fix Christmas Music

Topics: Music, Life, Cute Christmas
Tags: the hit list, rock music, christmas songs, music reviews, christmas music, metalhead music reviews

Write your own comment!