Search Menu
Menu

How Do You Define Racism?

How Do You Define Racism?

carlorossiriver is leading a crusade against misunderstandings of racism. Will you help define racism? —Sparkitors

I used to think people who shouted “RACIST!” at stuff in black and white were witty and funny. Now… they're just annoying. Ever since awareness of racism has been raised, people refer to anything related to color or nationality as racist. I lose about a hundred brain cells every time I hear someone say that word. I mean, look. Here’s how one of my Omegle convos went:

Me: Hi stranger! Where’re ‘ya from?

Stranger: I’m from China

Me: Oh, cool. I like Chinese people

Stranger: You are so racist

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

That wasn’t even insulting. And even fractions are considered racist. Once, I had to take an aptitude test that asked “What part is shaded?” There were five circles and two of them were shaded black. And everyone around me was like “That is just sooo racist.” Really, guys? Really?

And apparently, having an opinion on foreign food is racist, too.

Me: I like Chinese food.

Friend 1: Man, that’s just racist.

And just when I thought this racism thing couldn’t possibly get any worse…

Me: Oh, this is just the perfect shade of puke green! And look at this lovely shade of poop brown!

Friend 2: Dude, you are so racist.

Whatever. So, people, help me spread awareness on the real meaning of racism!

rac·ism:

n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Seriously, guys. Humanity needs our help. I saw a dude screaming “RACIST!” at a freaking rainbow.

What really counts as racism? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Wanna write for SparkLife? Read this first!

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, language, race, racism

Write your own comment!