Skip over navigation

Blueberry Muffin Tops

Blueberry Muffin Tops

By Shivani

It’s easy to take for granted the nonchalance with which old friends approach your idiosyncrasies. Back home, my habit of eating pudding with a butter knife would have fazed no one, but here at college, most people silently judge me, or, if I count them as friends, laugh at me. Another quirk of mine is the deep disgust I feel for lumpy, sticky muffin bottoms.

I only eat the tops of muffins, people, because the top of the muffin is the only part worth eating. It is crunchy, fluffy, soft, and crumby—all key qualities in a baked good. It’s highly wasteful to go around tossing unwanted muffin bottoms in the garbage, which is why I'm glad muffin top recipes exist. Their inception can actually be traced back to a 1997 episode of Seinfeld centering entirely around muffin tops (I am not sure if this is a fact). The basic approach is to bake your favorite muffin mix as if you were making a batch of cookies. This results in the slightly crunchy outside and fluffy inside associated with a proper muffin.

Blueberry Muffin Tops

These directions work with most basic muffin mixes. Just make a few adjustments in baking time, and you’ll stay golden. (The adjustments are to lower the bake time; watch for the muffin tops to turn a light brown color.)

Ingredients

6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
¾ tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
2 cups blueberries

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in milk, egg, yolk and vanilla until well combined.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, then add the wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Fold blueberries into the batter and mix gently for even distribution.
5. Generously butter pan.
6. Space dollops of batter about 2 inches apart on the pan.
7. Bake until golden and crisp (about 18 min.)
8. Cool for 10- 15 minutes.

MMMMMMmmmmmmm.

Related post: Shivani Makes Tarte Tatin (That Means "Super Tasty Apple Stuff" in French)

Topics: Life, College Advisor
Tags: recipes, baking, college life, cooking with shivani, muffins

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shivani

Shivani is a blogger and college student living in Miami, Florida. She’s usually rocking a serious topknot and always trying to realize her life’s ambition of getting her own reality show. In her spare time she blogs about boys, school, and makeup on www.missaluru.wordpress.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @padmashiv.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.