Skip over navigation

Halloween Costumes for English Majors

Halloween Costumes for English Majors

By Contributor

Life’s full of tough choices, especially when you're a college student. Every new semester, I encounter the dilemma of choosing which classes to take. Every afternoon at lunch, I face the issue of where to sit in the dining hall. Every evening, I enter my dorm room, and I wonder if I should clean it today. (I promise I will eventually.) And every October, one of the toughest choices is most definitely, “What should I be for Halloween?”

At most college campuses, Halloween—or rather, “Halloweekend”—fever spreads across campus. You’ll find many students channeling their inner Martha Stewarts in an effort to win the Best Decorations contest in their dorms. You’ll see others flocking to basement kitchens to create delectable holiday treats. And it’s safe to say that most students get into the spirit for this holiday by practicing the age-old tradition of dressing up.

However, dressing up in college is a whole different ballgame than it was in your hometown. Here, students go all out with their costumes. Yes, you’ll see the typical girls using the holiday as an excuse to wear basically nothing at all, but others strive for uniqueness and creativity with their costumes. I find it’s far better to stand out in the sea of Playboy Bunnies by being original. If you’re still looking for some spook-tacular costume ideas and you happen to love books, look no further!

Dracula: Before Edward Cullen burst onto the scene in his sparkly skin, and before The Count on Sesame Street taught you how to use numbers, there was Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Vampires and Halloween go together like Santa Claus and Christmas, so why not honor the definitive vampire this season? All it takes is a little makeup and some fangs, and you’re good to go! Many channel Bela Lugosi's 1931 movie version, but feel free to create your own interpretation.

Lord of the Flies: A great costume for a group of friends! It’s easy to capture that “I’m stuck on a deserted island and now I’m going to eat my friends Nom Nom Nom” look. Purchase some clothes from the local thrift store, or pick out a few items you don’t mind getting dirty, rough them up a bit, and you’ve got yourself a costume! Extra treats, no tricks, if you manage to put a pig head on a stick.

Great Gatsby: You’ll always look dapper when dressed as a flapper! Tap into the glitz and glamour of the 1920s, and you’ll be the cat’s meow at all the Halloweekend activities. With stores like H&M and Forever21 offering flapper-inspired accessories, finding a costume has never been so easy or affordable. For guys, all you need to do is pick up a suit and hat to complete the look.  A college party on fraternity row already has the vibe of an illicit speakeasy, so it’s easy to feel the part. Now pass the giggle water, and scram.

The Catcher in The Rye: Find a trench coat and a red hunting hat, and you’re good to go. Holden Caulfield, the original hipster, makes for a creative and unique costume. What better way to say, “I hate all the phonies on this campus” than to go as everyone’s favorite cynic? Try not to be too much of a downer, but don’t let that stop you from getting into character.

Shakespeare: Those not afraid to wear tights, I salute you! Shakespeare’s works offer a wide variety of costumes and characters to choose from. Feeling a little melancholy this Halloween? Hamlet may be just right for you. Looking for a couple’s costume? Romeo and Juliet may not have ended well, but they do make a great pair. Always making an ass of yourself? Find a Donkey’s head and go as Bottom. In the market for a group costume? Consider the three witches from Macbeth.

Whatever you go as for Halloween, make sure your creativity shines!

Do you know what you're dressing up as?

Related post: What Literary Characters Would Be for Halloween

Topics: Life, College Advisor
Tags: holidays, halloween, costumes, english majors, college life, the daily trials of an english major

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners