Skip over navigation

The Cure for Your Hunger Games Hangover is Here!

The Cure for Your Hunger Games Hangover is Here!

By Contributor

alexsarcastic221 is here to save you from your sad, depressed, book-deprived state. (And yes, she's accepting gifts of gratitude.)—Sparkitors

Do you hear that? That is the beautiful sound of silence. The sound that comes when thousands of teenage girls stop crying into their pillows after reading the final Hunger Games book and pick up the new novel Wither by Lauren DeStefano. Interested? Then read on, my dystopia-deprived friends.I don’t know about you, but when I finished the last Hunger Games book, I spent the next couple of days pacing the floor of my room and muttering to myself about tridents, arrows, and cake frosting…it was a dark time. But never fear, Sparklers, because I have the cure for your Hunger Games hangover!

Wither is first-time author Lauren DeStefano's new book and the first installment of The Chemical Garden Trilogy. The book follows Rhine Ellery, a 16-year-old girl living in a dystopian future where a mysterious virus has drastically reduced the human lifespan. Young girls are regularly kidnapped and sold to wealthy men as brides in a desperate attempt to keep the human population up.

Like Hunger Games, the heroine is a strong-willed 16-year-old living in an eerie future where the rich are really rich and the poor are really poor, and where everyone lives in fear that their loved ones won’t come home from work. There is, as always, that ever-present love triangle; however, it is a bit more complicated in Wither, and we get to see the heroine grow from a young girl into a woman. While Hunger Games is an adventure story with a romance written in, Wither is a romance story with and adventure written in.

I promise, this book will satisfy your deep longing for more riveting reading material, so clear away those tear-soaked tissues and start reading!

What do you think? Does Wither sound like a good Hunger Games replacement?

Related Post: Blind Sight

Wanna write for SparkLife? Read this first!

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books, books we love, book reviews, teen novels, ya books, hunger games, wither

Write your own comment!

OR