Skip over navigation

One-Sentence Lessons I Learned from Classic Literature

One-Sentence Lessons I Learned from Classic Literature

By Contributor

dac213 cracked us UP with this ingenious post—just wait 'til you get to number 7.—Sparkitors

English teachers are always trying to get us to understand the complex, profound meaning behind classic literature. Well, I don't think you need a 10-page essay to spell it out; here are 8 lessons I learned from famous books, condensed into easy, breezy sentences (I suggest you commit them to memory, just so that you don't accidentally make the mistakes mentioned in 1-8).

1. The Stranger by Albert Camus: Hot weather is not really a valid excuse for murder.

2. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd: Running away always leads to self-discovery and happiness (sarcasm hand).

3. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare: Even if it’s love at first sight, it’s probably not a good idea to marry someone after only talking to them twice.

4. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger: Wandering the streets of New York alone is not necessarily the best way to deal with your problems.

5. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner: Don’t be dumb, and don’t speak or think completely in metaphors, especially if you’re 8 years old.

6. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: Don’t let your mistress drive your very distinctive car.

7. Lord of the Flies by William Golding: Children really shouldn’t be left by themselves on an island for months, especially if one of those children is a sociopath.

8. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka: Don’t inexplicably turn into a giant insect.

What one-sentence lessons have you learned from classic literature?

Related post: Confused Substitute Teacher Summarize Classic Literature

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: life lessons, romeo and juliet, lord of the flies, the stranger, literature, funny things, classic literature, catcher in the rye, classics, great gatsby, the secret life of bees, as i lay dying

Write your own comment!