Skip over navigation

Metalhead Reviews Mystery Science Theater 3000

Metalhead Reviews Mystery Science Theater 3000

By Contributor

There is nothing that Metalhead865 is not an expert on. It makes us feel hopelessly inadequate.—Sparkitors

Music? Check. Video games? Check. Crushes? Check. What's left? TV.

Yes, even I, the great Metalhead865, watch TV. But I'm not your average Jersey Shore-watching reality TV freak, oh no. I've identified the awesomest show on television—and ironically enough, it was inspired by the worst movies ever made. Here are five reasons why Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the best shows EVER.

1. The backstory somehow makes everything work. The whole premise of the show is that a guy and two robots are watching bad movies and making hilarious commentary on them. But why? Here's the story, straight from the official theme song: "In the not-too-distant future, next Sunday, A.D., there was a guy named Joel, not too different from you or me. He worked at Gizmonics Institute, just another face in a red jumpsuit. He did a good job cleaning up the place, but his bosses didn't like him, so they shot him into space." Joel's bosses, Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank, send him really bad movies that he's forced to watch. He can't control when the movies start or end because he built his robotic companions (and comedy partners), Tom Servo and Crow, with them. See how it all fits together?

2. The movies themselves are awful, awful, awful. Joel, Tom, and Crow have to watch such great films as "The Giant Gila Monster," "Secret Agent Super Dragon," and "Teenagers from Outer Space." Where are you going to see a guy in a turtle suit stomp on downtown Tokyo, except in "Gamera"? Or watch really long and boring sequences of people walking through the desert, except in "Hercules Against The Moon Men"? And of course, there's the grand-daddy of them all: "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians." 'Nuff said.

3. The sequences in-between the segments of the movie are hilarious. Joel, Tom, and Crow invent things, sing songs, play games, and even talk to characters from the movies they're watching. (They even run into Gamera the giant turtle!) Before every movie, the robots and Joel have a conversation with Dr. Forrester back on Earth to prove that they're being productive in the "Invention Exchange." And none of it works out right. Hooray for goofiness.

4. The commentary on the movies is the whole reason you watch. Whether it's a short film about a circus on ice or a full-length about a monster who preys on club dancers, the man and his robots have something to say. For example:
Man on screen: "Sir, the power plant is completely destroyed!"
Crow: "I told you to water the plant. You're fired."
And if you're not laughing by five minutes into any of the movies, there's something wrong with your brain.

5. Pants . Just watch it.

There are five episodes on Hulu and the rest are on Netflix. So you can basically watch this amazing show wherever you go. "Push the button, Frank!"

We're still not entirely sure we understand the premise of the show (robots? In space? With movies?) but Metalhead ain't steered us wrong yet. Consider us sold. Will you check out this show? Are you already a fan?

Related post: Hilarious British TV Show You Should Be Watching But (Sadly) Aren't (Yet)

Image credit: http://www.oddfilms.com/blog/media/MST3K-hosts.jpg

Topics: Life, Entertainment, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: robots, tv shows, science fiction, tv series, tv reviews, mankler posts, mystery science theater 3000, bad movies

Write your own comment!