Skip over navigation

51 Reasons to Live

51 Reasons to Live

By Contributor

After reading Aleyna22's post, we feel inspired enough to run for office! (Or at least eat a jar of Miracle Whip.)—Sparkitors

We all know it's not as easy to be happy in real life as it is in the movies. Whether you're as low as John Cusack's heartbroken character in one of my favorite '80s movies, Better Off Dead, or feeling a little angsty because you listened to one too many Nirvana songs (in which case, you might have stolen my iPod), everyone needs a little motivation from time to time. For a reason unbeknownst to me, while I was singing "American Pie" into my toothbrush I was inspired to write a list for everyone whose needs a little more pep. Here are 51 reasons to keep on livin':

1. Because you either haven't seen Better Off Dead (or you need to watch it again).

2. Because someone's got to eat that last bit of cookie dough ice cream in the freezer.

3. Because your best friend needs someone cool to hang out with next Friday.

4. Because you've probably never sung "American Pie" into your toothbrush. Give it a try. It's the next best thing to performing at the VMAs.

5. Because there are plenty of amazing Beatles songs out there that you still haven't heard. Like this one.

6. Because your little sister still walks around the house in a Hannah Montana wig. She needs your stellar music tastes to avoid impending doom.

7. Because your mother is making chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning. You might want to set an extra place at the table for me.

8. Because you haven't gotten to read the Harry Potter series for the 74th time.

9. Because one of the old episodes of Spongebob Squarepants is coming on tomorrow morning, and everyone knows those are the best.

10. Because you haven't gotten to read next week's Dear Albert column!

11. Because you haven't gotten to see next week's episode of Teen Wolf! And it's so awful, you have to laugh.

12. Because somewhere inside you, there's a great person just waiting to emerge. Don't let him down...even if that does sound a little creepy.

13. Because they probably don't allow screenings of The Big Lebowski in Heaven.

14. Because they probably don't play 70's classic rock up there in the sky either.

15. Because the sun is shining outside. And if it's not, you can be sure that it's going to tomorrow.

16. Because you don’t have a clue what’s going to happen tomorrow. You might run into somebody famous, like Dan Bergstein. Or even better, you might not run into anybody at all. It hurts less that way.

17. Because your parents haven't told you all their embarrassing stories from high school. Trust me, you do not want to miss out on those.

18. Because today one of the clouds is shaped like this face. This is a once in a lifetime occurrence, folks. At least I hope so.

19. Because my little sister just came in my room with a dazed look on her face, mumbled, "chicken?" and then left. Strange things happen every day, and you don't want to miss them.

20. Because, you NBK-ers, you haven't had that first magical date yet. And for you guys who are...anti-NBK-ers, you haven't had that last magical first date yet.

21. Because someone has thought about you today.

22. Because you can't let anyone else in your grade write that valedictorian speech.

23. Because there's so much that you haven't seen! New York, Paris, London, Pop-Tart World...

24. Because I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and I didn't see a book with your name on it. Keep on writin'.

25. Because everybody is the best at something, including you. Even if it's holding a pencil between your nose and your mouth and writing your name. (But that's not your special talent; it's mine. So don't steal it, jerk.)

26. Because I'll bet you've never seen this before!

27. Because your future college roommate can't have a dorm room to herself. That would just be unfair.

28. Because there are still people out there who can't differentiate between "your" and "you're." We need you to help save the world from the spreading disease of illiteracy.

29. Because there's a library full of good books that you've never even heard of.

30. Because you're fortunate enough to be reading an article with your own eyes on your own internet service. But it would be pretty cool if you could read this with somebody else's eyes...

31. Because you haven't drummed Pinball Wizard on expert and gotten 100%.

32. Because you live in a world full of insanely creative people. Don't think so? Check this out. And this.

33. Because if you don't marry your future spouse, that jerk from biology class will. You'll be like the dead, muggle version of Severus Snape. Unless you aren't a muggle...

34. Because you aren't a muggle! And that's pretty damn cool.

35. Because your bathroom mirror needs someone cute to smile at it today. They have feelings too, you know.

36. Because you've never eaten a whole jar of Miracle Whip in less than 3 minutes.

37. Because you have a goal. Everyone does. And chances are you haven't reached it yet, so you better go out there and get it.

38. Because one day you'll get to name your children after your favorite literary characters. But please, for the love of God, don't name your little girl Hester.

39. Because of the little things.

40. Because you haven't taken me to an Adam Lambert concert yet, and buddy, I really wanna go!

41. Because there are so many interesting people you haven't met yet. I mean, you haven't even met me.

42. Because in the year 2050, the United States will be left helpless to the Communists and the aliens without your shweet Presidential skills.

43. Because of timshel. If John Steinbeck says that a person can be great if they want to, then a person can be great if they want to. And if you get my East of Eden reference, then you'll be receiving an invisible prize in the mail next week, and you don't wanna miss that.

44. Because you're worth it. Oh snap! Someone better get some nachos, cause that was cheesy!

45. Because I now have a big plate of nachos, and I need someone nice to share it with.

46. Because you still haven't written your acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize. It might be a long ways off into the future, but it's gonna happen, folks.

47. Because I think you're a swell heck of a person. And I'm always right.

48. Because these SparkLife articles are not going to write themselves.

49. Because when you're a grandparent, you'll be able to tell your grandkids about how you were a Pulitzer Prize winning author, the President, a Nobel Prize recipient, and about that one time some weird chick named Aleyna snuck into your house to steal your chocolate chip pancakes. I told you to set me a place, didn't I?

50. Because I'll bet you haven't just sat back and looked at things for a while. Sometimes you just have to, you know?

51. Because I want my iPod back.

What's your #1 reason to live?

Related Post: 5 Reasons Why Breakups Are Awesome

Wanna write for SL? Read this first!

Topics: Life
Tags: inspiration, motivation, sad songs, favorite things, reasons to live

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!