Skip over navigation

The Pros and Cons of Babysitting

The Pros and Cons of Babysitting

By Contributor

EmilyP summons up an amazing amount of enthusiasm for a job that frequently involves poop. –Sparkitors

Though I'll tell anyone who cares to listen that babysitting is the best job EVER, that doesn't mean it's without its downside. In the interest of helping all you Sparklers decide whether babysitting is for YOU, I present the pros and cons of being a babysitter!

Pro: Pay
Typically, babysitters get paid well. Very well. This chick right here gets 10 dollars an hour. Be very jealous.

Con: Unreliability
Usually I babysit once a week, with the occasional weekend job thrown in. But when the family goes on vaycay, or their niece comes down for a visit, I lose 110 DOLLARS WORTH OF PAY! I KID YOU NOT! I HAD ELEVEN HOURS SCHEDULED BUT THEIR NIECE CAME TO VISIT AND AND *sputter*
Excuse me. I was really relying on the paycheck this month.

Pro: Naps
If you're sitting for a kid young enough to take naps, then you get to spend up to two lovely hours enjoying quiet time. Reading, homework, magazines—what you do with it is up to you!

Con: Long shifts
I'm not gonna lie: I get tired of the kids sometimes. And there are times when I just don't feel like pretending to be an airplane again, or reading the same book seven times, in funny voices. But it's my job to make them happy, so I don't really have a choice.

Pro: The cute factor
Honestly, everything is worth it when a kid says, "When I grow up, I'm gonna be an eagle, cuz they can fly!" Or when they ask me what I'm doing with that knife when I get out my nail file. They. Are. ADORABLE!

Con: Dirty work
Two words: potty training. I literally had to pick poop up off of the floor and rinse out a pair of underwear today. Fortunately, I have control over my gag reflex.

As you can see, babysitting is not all fun and games, but it's also very rewarding. And it's a good supplement job: your "real" job takes care of the bills, and babysitting pays for the fun stuff!

Are you for or against babysitting?

Related post: The Perks of Babysitting

Wanna write for SparkLife? Read this first!

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, babysitting, jobs, money, work, gross things, little kids

Write your own comment!