Skip over navigation

The Help

The Help

By Contributor

We're SO happy for two reasons: The first is that Lonks has finally reached the halfway mark in her epic quest, and the second is that The Help movie comes out TOMORROW!—Sparkitors

Book #50 (*does happy dance*): The Help

Author: Kathryn Stockett

Reason for Reading: My mom read this with her book club and really enjoyed it. I’ve also been hearing a whole lot about it because it and it sounded like my kind of book.

Quote: "Everyone knows how we white people feel [about] the glorified Mammy figure who dedicates her whole life to a white family. Margaret Mitchell covered that. But no one ever asked Mammy how she felt about it."

Copyright Date: 2009

Length: 544 pages

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating (out of 10 stars): 10 stars

Summary: Skeeter has never wanted to be anything other than a writer. However, in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960s, all a woman was ever supposed to be was a wife. Aibileen is a black maid who is in the process of raising her seventeenth white child. She never dreamt of being anything other than a maid, but she is tired of the poor treatment she has dealt with her whole life. Minny is probably the sassiest women in Mississippi and her sharp tongue has lost her yet another job. When Skeeter decides to write a book about the women who are employed in white households, these women come into an unlikely alliance in order to cause the biggest scandal in Mississippi history.

Review: “A good writer tells the truth by telling lies” (Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls). I know that I have shared this quote with you before, but I believe it is very pertinent here. To me, it simply means that an author must make their fiction believable. That’s one thing that I have always loved about historical fiction. It’s easier to believe because it is nothing more the fictional people placed in a real world. It really tends to make for a fantastic story.

Some of my friends have told me that they didn’t want to read this book because of all the hype surrounding it. However, unlike several other hyped up novels (*cough* Twilight *cough*) this one is truly amazing. The story is exciting, the characters loveable, the villains detestable, and the facts horrifying. The author finds an interesting way to tell you about a terrible time in the United States’ history; one that is not often spoken about. It is also scary to think that this was our parents and grandparents! The novel is a wonderful, informative read, and I can’t wait to see what’s coming next from Ms. Stockett.

Recommendation: Everyone has to read this book. It’s hilarious, but informative. It’s touching, but frightening. The Help is definitely a fantastic portrayal of that period in America’s history.

Just out of pure curiosity, if any of your parents or grandparents had or were “help” during the early 1900s, I would love it if you put their stories in the comments. This book has really got me thinking about that period and I would love to hear some first-hand accounts.

Can't wait to hear what you guys thought of this great book!

Related post: One Year, 100 Books

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books we love, book reviews, sparkler series, one year 100 books, the help

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!