Skip over navigation

The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters

By Contributor

Lonks is THIIIIS CLOSE to being halfway done with her epic challenge!—Sparkitors

Book #49: The Screwtape Letters

Author: C.S. Lewis

Reason for Reading: Who doesn’t want to read two C.S. Lewis books in a row?

Quote: "Whatever their bodies do affects their souls. It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out..."

Copyright Date: 1942

Length: 224 pages

Genre: Philosophy

Rating (out of 10 stars): 7 stars

Summary: The Screwtape Letters are a series of letters from a senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior "tempter" named Wormwood, advising him on methods of securing the damnation of a British man, known as "the Patient." Screwtape holds an administrative post in the bureaucracy ("Lowerarchy") of Hell, and acts as a mentor to Wormwood. In his letters, Screwtape gives Wormwood detailed advice on various methods of destroying faith and promoting sin in the Patient.

Review: This book is very different from the other Lewis books I have read. For one thing, it is a lot darker and more serious than his novels. However, I still really enjoyed it.

I think it’s important to take notice of the irony of the situation. The letters are a thoroughly backwards way of teaching people about Christanity. As Screwtape is telling Wormwood what to do, he is also telling us what not to do. It was just a really interesting approach to philosophy.

It’s also one of those books that really makes you think. You cannot read this book and not think of how much it applies to your life. C. S. Lewis has thought deeply about the things we do each that lead us away from God, and he explains them very well. As you read the book, you are in a constant inspection of your own life, and the things happen daily that lead you away from a close, personal, consistent, and deep relationship with God.

Recommendation: If you are a Christian, I would highly recommend this book. It is a different way of looking at how we should follow “the Enemy” (as Screwtape calls Him). But, I would also recommend it to anyone else. Not because I want to shove my religion down anyone’s throat, but because I think that a lot of the points in the book could be a great addition to anyone’s moral compass.

This book sounds really intriguing! Think you'll check it out?

Related post: One Year, 100 Books

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: philosophy, book reviews, sparkler series, one year 100 books, cs lewis, religious fiction

Write your own comment!