Skip over navigation

Sororities, Sports, and a Little Bit of Jesus

Sororities, Sports, and a Little Bit of Jesus

By Contributor

Faye in a sorority?! Whhhhhhoa. —Sparkitors

Ahh, the beautiful city of New Philabostiago. Located between the Mountains-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named and the Non Specific Ocean. Famous for the Philly cheese steak, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Eiffel Tower, with a name that I just made up.

I’m blogging chapters 5 and 6 of The Naked Roommate from a hotel lobby (Huzzah for change of location!), since I’m actually doing something college-related. It’s Orientation weekend for New Philabostiago University, but I’m a day early, so I haven’t done any orientating yet. I’ll let you know how it all goes next post.

For now, let's review Chapter 5: Venturing Out of the Safety of Your Dorm Room

The gist of it—get involved.

Join clubs
I mentioned this before, but my high school’s clubs were pretty lame. They fell into two categories: 1) foreign language clubs and 2) service clubs. Don’t get me wrong, I love pretending that I know Latin and helping people as much as the next person, but I never made connections with the other people in the clubs. (Tu rex pavo es? Ego rex pavo sum!) I kind of developed a “Joining clubs doesn’t equal friendship” mindset, which is the exact opposite of what Harv says. I’m hoping I’ll find some awesome clubs to join come September that will help me get over that.

Do sports

I’m awful at sports. No, you don’t understand: I’m athletically impaired. I’m a danger to myself and others. I’ve been hit in the face with kickballs, dodgeballs, soccer balls, and a hockey stick. I want to be athletic though, and college is a fresh start, right? So I’m going to join a sport (intramural level, of course). I’m just not sure which one yet. Any suggestions?

Academic Organizations
I refused to join the Math League my freshmen year of high school because it was social suicide. I wound up being President of the Math League my senior year. (We came in 3rd place! Take that, West!) And I still had friends. Lesson learned: Nerds are people, too.

Find spiritual enlightenment
One of my biggest regrets from high school was not becoming involved in the campus ministry, which is why it’s something I really want to do in college. I’m not super Jesus-y, but Harv says religious organizations are good for guidance, friendships, and keeping you grounded which are all kind of important.

Chapter 6: To Greek, or Not to Greek

The gist of it: Sometimes sororities are good. Sometimes they’re bad. Some people love them. Some people hate them. Good luck with figuring it all out!

My mom is dead against me joining a sorority. Which obviously means that I’m all for it. I feel like Greek life is a part of the college experience, and I don’t want to miss out on anything. But sororities and fraternities also get bad reputations—drinking, hazing, partying. I just want “a group of individuals of similar interests bonded together by common goals and aspirations” (Harv’s definition), and all the good stuff that comes with that.

Except, I’m completely terrified of rejection. What if I RUSH and no sorority picks me? I was always the last person picked for kickball (which may have had something to do with the whole “not athletic” thing), but still. Harv says there’s usually an interview with questions like, “What do you do for fun?” Is it awful that I couldn’t think of anything? They’re going to think I’m some sort of FUNKILLER!!! Everyone run and hide or the FUNKILLER will get you!!! RAWR!!!

But seriously, anyone have any experience joining a sorority? (Watching “The House Bunny” does not count as experience.)

Until next week,

Faye :)

Do you think Faye should join a sorority? Any suggestions for intramural sports?

Related Posts: Blogging The Naked Roommate

Topics: Books, College Advisor
Tags: sparkler posts, sports, college, extracurriculars, sororities, blogging the naked roommate

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!