Skip over navigation

My Deathly Hallows Experience (and My Costume!)

My Deathly Hallows Experience (and My Costume!)

By Contributor

Did you hear about that movie that came out a couple days ago? I think it was like the 8th or 9th of the Harry Potter series. They're pretty decent.

Here's an hour-by-hour account of my HP7 experience.

5:00 p.m. Get off work. Break a couple speed limits on the way home.

5:15 p.m. Craft Ginny’s wand! This includes unapologetically stealing the life from a smaller tree branch that’s hanging over my car. Scrape the bark off, leaving a handle, and carve a… bulbous thing as the bottom for decoration. Apply wood stain. Realize it looks horrible. Wipe the wood stain off.

5:45 p.m. Assemble the costume. Jeans, converse, mother’s white collared shirt, friend’s little brother’s Gryffindor tie, and a black graduation gown. After numerous attempts, my dad ties my tie. Straighten hair, assume an air of confidence, and voila! Ginny Weasley! Work on bat-bogey hexes.

6:15 p.m. Stuff as much of my dad’s chicken into my mouth as possible at one time. While running out to the car.

6:20 p.m. Change radio stations with my wand. Pretend Joan Jett is the Weird Sisters.

6:30 p.m. At the theatre! There’s already a significant line. Sit down awkwardly, the first of my friends to get there, and the only one in costume in the near vicinity.

7:00 p.m. Friends (Luna and Hermione) arrive. Thank Dumbledore.

7:20 p.m. Assume position sitting against the theatre. Despite my natural aversion to cameras, here is a visual aid!

7:30 p.m. Realize that the chicken did nothing to quell my hunger. Culvers run! Butterburgers are an awful, wonderful thing.

8:50 p.m. Start watching Deathly Hallows, part 1, on my friend’s laptop. Fail to pay attention to it.

8:00 p.m. Make friends with an employee who was cruising the line (which now wraps around the theatre)! Who knew Ginny and Bellatrix would get along so well? Especially when Bellatrix is blatantly wearing the locket of Slytherin. Her bloodlust is admirable.

8:45 p.m. See these shirts: “I’d get sleazy for a Weasley,” “Your mum’s a horcrux”

9:05 p.m. Smush a large insect with too many legs that had been trying to kill me. Instant karma, suckas!

9:35 p.m. Become restless.

10:00 p.m. They’re passing out Harry Potter 3d glasses! No way! Refuse to take them off.

10:30 p.m. They’re letting people in? What?

10:50 p.m. Refuse to buy popcorn. Popcorn is nasty.

11:00 p.m. Get magnificent seats. 7 rows up, 7 seats in is the magic number.

11:10 p.m. If you hold the 3d glasses out in front of you, facing the wrong way, horizontally they turn everything green, and vertically they turn it purple.

11:25 p.m. Draw a dark mark on my late-arriving friend’s arm. Fail to figure out how to work the flash on my sister's camera.

11:30 p.m. Breath catches as the screen goes white. Nevermind. It’s only trivia questions.

12:00 a.m. WHY ISN’T THIS MOVIE STARTING?

12:06 a.m. Previews begin. Suddenly, I hate capitalism just a little bit.

12:21 (approximately) a.m. Warner Bros Logo. No tears are shed.

(I will try to preserve spoilers from those who haven’t seen or read it yet. Ha. Has anyone not read it?)

2:00 a.m. McGonagall rockets up my list of favorite characters. She and Neville are battling it out for the place behind Bellatrix. Didja know that Maggie Smith contracted breast cancer while filming? She powered through it like a boss. My hero.

2:20 a.m. Cry harder than I have in a long time. Snape is Sydney Carton.

2:30 a.m. You guys. They’re ending it with the soundtrack from the first movie. I do believe it’s called “Leaving Hogwarts” by John Williams. I know because it has a ridiculous number of plays on my itunes library.

2:31 a.m. Become so preoccupied with the soundtrack that I don’t see that the credits are rolling. Realize this, and go into minor shock.

Well. It’s done now. And I’m ok with that, as I went through Post-Potter Depression already, when the books were done. Goodbye, childhood! On a lighter note, Pottermore (whatever it is. I’m still not quite positive) will be here soonish, and, according to rumor, J.K. Rowling is working on something new!

Ginger's Song of the Week: How do you feel about dubstep? Well, I like some of it. And this is my favorite remix.

Did your costume rival Ginger's? Prove it! (By sending pictures to contribute@sparknotes.com, of course.)

Related slideshows: Deathly Hallows 2 Premiere Pics

Topics: College Advisor, Entertainment, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: harry potter, movies, life according to ginger, deathly hallows, recaps and reviews, ginny weasley

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners