Skip over navigation

Seven Crazy Roommates?

Seven Crazy Roommates?

By Contributor

Faye's getting ready for college by reading the No. 1 college guide, THE NAKED ROOMMATE. —Sparkitors

I’ve always thought that there were two kinds of people in the world—Crazies, and everyone else. You fall into the everyone else category if you can carry on a conversation with other people. You fall into the Crazies category if you can carry on a conversation with yourself.

There’s a bushel of Crazies in Chapter 3 of The Naked Roommate. Which is scary, because Chapter 3 is the Roommate chapter. And I'm going to have seven roommates.

*Side note* Congrats to Ashmeadow and Imz97 for correctly guessing how many roommates I have! Your brownie points will arrive by Pony Express in 6-8 weeks. Yay!

I’m going to be living in an eight-person suite, which is split up into four bedrooms with a central living area (and I think two bathrooms). So technically there’s only one other person in my room, although the other six people are considered my roommates, too.

Anyway, back to the book. Harv describes a whole bunch of different roommates you might run into in college:

1. The Best Case Scenario Roommate
This roommate is cool. She wants to get along with you. You might have never thought that you and this person would be friends, but she's actually really awesome. This is the roommate you want to get.

2. The Oh, Now I Understand Why This Book is Called The Naked Roommate Roommate
This roommate is naked. And not just when it’s okay to be naked. It’s okay to be naked in the shower. Or when you’re getting changed. It’s not okay to be naked while sitting on the couch watching a movie and eating chips.

3. The Out and Proud Roommate
This roommate is gay/lesbian/bisexual. This isn’t a bad thing. It’s an opportunity to learn about something foreign to you. (Unless you’re gay/lesbian/bisexual too, in which case you already have something to talk about with your roommate.)

4. The Ew, How Long Has That Pizza Been On the Floor Roommate
This roommate is a slob. He leaves his stuff everywhere, and sometimes forgets to shower. You don’t want to get too close to him.

5. The Constantly Having Sex Roommate
This roommate is... constantly having sex. Her boyfriend spends more time in your room than you do. This roommate may also fall under the #2 Roommate category.

6. The So That’s Where My Sweater Wound Up Roommate
This roommate takes your things. Borrowing clothing with permission is one thing. “Borrowing” your roommate’s laptop for Winter Break and never giving it back is something else. (Hint: It’s illegal.)

7. The So Drunk They Can’t Find the Bathroom Roommate
This roommate makes Ke$ha look like a Prohibitionist. They like to party hard, so they’re lucky if they remember where their room is, let alone where to use the bathroom.

I’m hoping for 7 #1’s.

That’s it for this week. Thanks for all the help with my Dorm shopping list. Free baby cacti for everyone who offered their help (not really)! Your challenge this week: Tell me your best/worst roommate story. (It doesn’t have to be a college roommate.)

Mine: I didn’t have much in common with my roommate at Leadership camp a few summers ago, so when they called lights out at nine, we both just went to sleep. I happened to mention Twilight in a passing remark on the last night. We stayed up until two discussing all the reasons why we dislike Bella.

Until next week,

Faye :)
We can't wait to read your roommate stories in the comments!

Related Posts: Blogging The Naked Roommate

Topics: Life, College Advisor
Tags: sparkler posts, college, roommates, blogging the naked roommate, preparing for college, faye

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!