Skip over navigation

Summer Books for Smarties

Summer Books for Smarties

By Contributor

Ginger's summer reading list is less Nicholas Sparks, more Hawking and quarks. Sparkitors

Question: How weird is it that I read less at 19 than I did at 13? Answer: So weird. Probable causes: time constraints due to work, and/or something that almost (but not quite) resembles a social life. I try my best, though. Here’s my reading list for the summer as of right now, but if you see something that direly needs to be added/removed, please tell me!

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. I’m already on page 497, i.e. partially though “So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.” You have to love an author who names his books like that. Anyway, I’m loving the series so far, even though the plot lines can be… meandering. Adamsa has a wonderfully snarky writing voice, and is extremely quotable.

A Brief History of Time, by Steven Hawking. Honestly and truly, I can’t wait to learn about quarks. I’m a bit intimidated by this one, though. I know Steven Hawking is supposedly one of the smartest people in the world, but CAN HE WRITE?! This remains to be determined. I’ll keep you all updated.

Kurt Vonnegut. I haven’t quite decided which one I’ll tackle next, but I’ve already read “Slaughterhouse Five,” “Galapagos,” “Hocus Pocus,” “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater,” and “Breakfast of Champions.” So I like Vonnegut. A lot. Any suggestions on books by him that I haven’t read?

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. I’m actually about 2/3 of the way through this one—I started it last fall break, only to be rudely interrupted by school. I liked it a lot, as I like Dickens in general—he has a way about poetic justice that I enjoy. “Tale of Two Cities” was boss. Yes, that’s the only adjective I can think of to describe it at the moment. It’s looking like this will be the only poetic justice fix I’ll be getting this summer.

A book that has yet to be determined. Help me out here? Requirements: It shouldn’t be about space (if not actually sci-fi, I think I’m reading about space enough this summer). It shouldn’t be excessively long (this list is already looking a bit full—I’m not a horribly fast reader. Especially when I’m trying to watch three boys at the same time). It should not be a romance novel (I tried and failed at Nicholas Sparks).

Ginger’s Song of the Week: It’s not often that you find a mashup of two good songs that doesn’t destroy them both.

Are you reading trashy stuff this summer, or classics?

Related post: Ditch Your Summer Reading List

Topics: Life, College Advisor
Tags: life according to ginger, summer reading, college life

Write your own comment!