Skip over navigation

Avoid the Judgement Bug

Avoid the Judgement Bug

By Contributor

livelyrics13 takes on a tough topic in this inspiring post, and gives some great advice. Thanks!— Sparkitors

There is a widespread epidemic in society, and we are all in danger. Just look around you. If you see a parent, or a friend, HECK, if you see your reflection, there is a 99.9% chance that you are looking at a victim. What, you ask, is this horrible illness? My answer: judgment.

Feel relieved? Don’t. Judgment affects all of us, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, or social status. And like any other terrible disease, it’s deadly: judgment can be so overwhelming that it inclines a person to end his life. Even if you feel that judgment is not a big issue in your life, you still need to do your part in stopping it. The mildest of cases can have a big effect on someone’s life. Let me share with you some of my experiences with judging:

Example A: My prom date and love interest, “Henry." Henry is the type of boy who isn’t the most conventionally attractive, but has a great personality and is well-liked by his peers. He’s skinny, pale, and red-headed, and to be honest, I wasn’t initially into that. (I sense some judgment!) But, the more I got to know him, the fonder I grew of him. I found out that he’s hilarious, cute, and sweet. Luckily for me, I escaped the grasp of the evil J-word this time. But if I hadn’t, I would’ve missed out on a prom date and potential future boyfriend.

Example B: My new friend, “Lindsay." Lindsay is on the tennis team with me, and is a freshman. (EEK! A freshman! You know how they are. And it’s not like I was ever one.) Before I knew her through the team, I made a lot of assumptions about her. She had flat-ironed hair, somewhat generous eye makeup, and a wardrobe that appeared to serve the sole purpose of attracting boys. I figured she’d be stuck-up, ditzy, and probably mean. But guess what, Sparklers? Lindsay and I hit it off! Turns out that her “look” seemed stereotypical, but she herself was not. Take note, everyone.

Example C: Me, myself, and I. You didn’t think I was exclusively a judger, did you? Like everyone else that has ever breathed, I’ve been a victim too. Being a 4.0 student who wears glasses, I’m sure I generate a lot of assumptions. (Smart + Glasses=Nerd=Socially Awkward, and so on.) I try my best to protect myself from judgment, but I know I can’t stop it all from coming my way. And let’s take that thought into the conclusion of this post:

Now that you are all fearful of the horrid thing called judgment, you are probably exclaiming, “How do we stop it? There must be something we can do!” Well, we can’t stop it. Not completely. In order to do that, we’d have to somehow tap into other people’s brains and ... oh, never mind.  But here’s what you CAN do, in three easy steps:

1. "Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Gandhi hit the nail on the head with this one. If you want to stop judgment, start with yourself. Next time you meet someone new, look at them without any pre-conceived notions.

2. Stand up for the little guy. If someone starts talking about another person behind their back, step in and call them out. Do they really know enough about this person to judge?

3. Brush it off. Well, this step isn’t exactly easy. But those jerks that excessively judge aren’t worth your time. So be the bigger person, and do this sneaky maneuver: don’t judge the jerk back. Maybe there’s a deeper reason why they’re acting like they are.

Ba-ZING! You are now awesome, and Doctor Sparkler has announced you clear of judgment. Now spread the cure!

What do you think about judging people?

Related Post: How to Stand Up for the Underdog

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, rejection, bullying, high school, depression, judgement, being mean

Write your own comment!