Skip over navigation

Confidence Pants Stories: Lunchtime Confessions

Confidence Pants Stories: Lunchtime Confessions

By Contributor

Way to pull on your confidence pants, TrueHippie89! —Sparkitors

About a month ago, I made myself slip into some confidence pants, and guess what? I lived to tell the tale! So here goes.

For about a year I had a crush on one of my best guy friends. I hung out with him, flirted with him, and generally made it fairly obvious that I liked him. This boy, however, must have molasses for blood. I don’t think he realized I liked him for the first few months. During those months I (enviously) watched my best friend have her first boyfriend, and all these months later I decided I was sick of waiting to see what my crush would do. So after reading several Auntie posts about donning your fanciest pair of confidence pants, I decided to do it.

Since this guy was my friend he sometimes sat at my lunch table, so every day for a week I tried to leave as slowly as possible so I could talk to him. Unfortunately someone else was always around or I packed up too quickly or something got in my way. But finally we left lunch at the same time one day. We started talking, but it was no big deal until I noticed he changed his course back to class in order to walk with me. "Okay, now’s your chance!," the voices in my head yelled.

“So I have a question,” I oh-so-tactfully introduced my subject. Calm down. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of looking calm and sounding casual, but inside my brain was doing the whirling dervish on a balance ball. “Have you figured out I like you yet?”

“Yes,” he replied as though this was a regular question.

“What exactly do you plan on doing about it?”That sounded a lot less demanding in my head. And what did he say to answer the question that had been on my mind for so long?

“I don’t know.” Ouch. He’s totally uninterested, isn’t he? “I’ve been thinking about it for a long time and I’m really not sure.”

“Okay,” I maintained a cheery front. “I’m just sick of wondering so this is me being direct.” I flashed a smile.

“Okay.” He grinned back.

“Well, we passed my class so I’m gonna go back now.”  Way to end your conversation. Babbling is the way to everyone’s heart! We said our good-byes and I left.

It’s four weeks later and he now sits at my lunch table everyday, but he never walks back to class with me. Whenever we talk it’s as if nothing happened. He treats me the same as before. Is this disappointing? Well, yeah. I pulled on my confidence pants without any obvious triumph.

On the bright side, though, he is still my friend and we’re not awkward around each other. So I didn’t get a boyfriend from my confidence pants, but I did put my mind more at ease—I no longer wonder what he’s thinking. Just goes to show: No matter the outcome, confidence pants are FTW! I’m not saying it’s easy. I’m saying it’s worth it.

Anyone else ever put on their confidence pants, only to get the DUMBEST REPLY EVER?!

Related Post: Confidence Pants Week Stories: Stalker Flowers

Topics: Life
Tags: crushes, confidence pants, confidence pants week

Write your own comment!