Skip over navigation

Cooking with Shivani: Vegan Mac and Cheese

Cooking with Shivani: Vegan Mac and Cheese

By Shivani

Shivani feeds fake cheese to her vegan pals. Now THAT'S friendship. —Sparkitors

In the history of awful weeks, this one was pretty high on the list for me and my friends. Two of them got rejected from top choice colleges, another fell asleep while chewing gum and woke up with it tangled so far into her hair she needed to get a haircut, another two ended up kissing each other and both ended up contracting mono, and the guy I like started dating someone else. So we all convened for the most epic pity party ever. Do you know what awesome people eat at pity parties?

The answer is Mac n’ cheese, y’all. I normally cook for the pickiest common denominator, so this week’s recipe is vegan for my friend Meagan and her boyfriend (yes, Meagan does rhyme with vegan—it’s a built-in mnemonic). All sadness-and-and-weeping-fueled drool aside, this mac n' cheese is really, really ridiculously tasty, which means whether you're sad or happy, you should eat it.

Vegan Mac n’ Cheese
Serves 3 teenagers

Ingredients
8 oz. elbow macaroni
3 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese (look for Daiya at Whole Foods; it melts and tastes just like cheese)
2 tbsps. vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
2 cups unsweetened milk product (plain soy milk like Silk)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
 (it adds the creamy/cheesy flavor that makes mac n’ cheese so good)
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
½ cup panko bread crumbs

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook pasta in boiling water—but for only half of the time listed in the instructions, or it will fall apart during baking. Drain pasta and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add milk product and half of the cheddar and cook on low-medium heat until melted, stirring frequently. When melted, add pepper, paprika, and nutritional yeast. Pour over the macaroni and mix together.
4. Transfer macaroni to a greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan or casserole dish. Stir in remaining cheddar.
5. Top with bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and top is starting to brown. Remove from oven and top with the parmesan.
6. Let cool until the dish sets so you can serve without dropping cheese all over the floor.

Sound good?

Related post: Cooking with Shivani: Chocolate French Toast

Topics: Life
Tags: food, recipes, pity parties, mac and cheese, cooking with shivani, vegan food

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Shivani

Shivani is a blogger and college student living in Miami, Florida. She’s usually rocking a serious topknot and always trying to realize her life’s ambition of getting her own reality show. In her spare time she blogs about boys, school, and makeup on www.missaluru.wordpress.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @padmashiv.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.