Skip over navigation

One Year, 100 Books: The Outsiders

One Year, 100 Books: The Outsiders

By Contributor

We're sure that if Lonks had known about our undying lurve for Ponyboy, she would have bumped her rating up a star or two.—Sparkitors

Book #16: The Outsiders

Author: S. E. Hinton

Reason for Reading: In 7th grade, my English class was too cool to read it for The Outsiders; we read Lord of the Flies instead. Because we’re that smart. But I've always felt that a little piece of my childhood was missing having not read it. So, I read it.

Quote: It seemed funny that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.

Copyright Date: 1967

Length: 192 pages

Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Rating (out of 5 stars): 3 stars

Summary: Ponyboy is a teenager living in the “slums” of a 60’s-ish era city. According to him, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to fight against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers—until one night, his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder really gets to Ponyboy, and his world crumbles around him.

Review: S.E. Hinton was sixteen when she wrote this book. Sixteen. SIXTEEN?!? I’m sixteen! That’s incredibly awesome sauce. I just wanted to get that out there.

So, those of you who are going “A 3?! She gave it a 3?! That book is my childhood!” calm yourself. I have my reasons. And remember that a 3 isn’t bad, it’s just average, because this was an average book. I liked The Outsiders, but it didn't change my life. It didn’t teach me any profound lessons. It was just a pretty decent book. The plot was well thought-out, the characters were interesting, and the story was intriguing. However, most people who claim this is the greatest book ever written read it in middle school. I can agree that it could have that life-altering effect (which Deadline had on me) on a 12 or 13-year-old, but for me it was just another YA book.

Recommendation: If you're in high school, read it, if only so you can join in when your friends reminisce about it. If you’re a middle school-er, you absolutely without a doubt should read this book; you’ll definitely learn something from it!

Did you love The Outsiders?

Related post: 1 Year, 100 Books

Topics: Books
Tags: book reviews, classic books, one year 100 books, the outsiders

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners