Search Menu
Menu

Wrock ‘Til You Drop

Wrock ‘Til You Drop

DrakeObsessor is about to introduce you to a whole new genre of music. Listen up.—Sparkitors

I’m guessing you saw the title of this post and thought to yourself  “Doesn’t she know how to spell 'rock'?” I assure you, I do, but I'm talking about an altogether different type of rock: WIZARD rock, a genre of music completely dedicated to Harry Potter and friends. They're fierce, they're funny, and they're totally, lovably ridiculous—and I'm about to give you a mouth-watering taste of the wrock bands that started it all.

First and foremost, all hail Harry and the Potters (brothers Paul and Joe out of Boston, MA), who started their band 10 years ago in their basement.  They are the originators of wizard rock, and their brave innovation has paved the way for other musical nerds to unleash their Potter love. Their hilarious lyrics and awesome alto sax skills have earned them fans of all ages, and a European tour, 5 records, and songs like “Save Ginny Weasley (from the Basilisk)” and “In Which We Save Ron’s Life, Part 8” have won them world-wide fame.

Next up, Draco and the Malfoys: Brad and Brian were inspired by their step-brothers Paul and Joe to start an opposing Slytherin punk band. Often touring with Paul and Joe, they are known worldwide for their gloomier, more insulting outlook on things. Because they sing from Draco’s point of view, they often trash Harry’s popularity, Ron’s hand-me-down robes, and Hermione’s bushy hair.  With hits like “Pansy (You’re the Girl of my Dreams)” and “Hippogriffs Deserve to Die," Draco and the Malfoys is definitely a band to listen to.

Some other hilarious bands to check out:

The Moaning Myrtles, an all-girl band with songs like “Prefects are Hot.”

Gred and Forge, a band that writes from both Fred and George Weasley’s point of view.

The Brothers Black, a wrock band that sounds so good, you can barely even tell that they're wrock!

For more info on wizard rock, click here or here.

Any other fans of wrock out there? What are your favorite bands?

Related post: What the Heck is Wizard Rock?

Topics: Music
Tags: harry potter, pop culture, funny things, wrock, wizard rock

Write your own comment!