Skip over navigation

A Day in the Life of a High School Independent Study Student

A Day in the Life of a High School Independent Study Student

By Contributor

SweetlySavedByGrace is NOT homeschooled! —Sparkitors

"Oh, so you're home schooled?" I've heard that question so many times I think I may chop off the extremities of the next person who asks me. Just kidding! (But seriously, ask me again.)

My school is an independent study program that runs from kindergarten through 12th grade, though us high schoolers get our own quad away from the little kids, because we’re cool like that. It’s kind of like a community college: I go to campus when I have class, and I leave when I’m done—with a parent, of course. Some days I only have one class, but don’t get too jealous. I have way more homework than the average student, and I also have way more than one class on most days. For instance, here’s what a normal Tuesday looks like:

6:30 a.m. Wake up, smacking my phone a couple times to turn off the alarm. Roll out of bed and over to my desk to finish writing the insanely long My Antonia summary that’s due today in Honors English.

7 a.m. Shuffle into the kitchen to drink my protein shake, which my mom thinks is the only thing standing between me and passing out at school. Even though I have never passed out, ever.

8:20 a.m. Try one more time to make myself look presentable—volleyball practice and late-night homework have taken a toll on my face—and run out the door.

8:40 a.m. Rush into my first-period class, right on time! I take advantage of the newbie science teacher by surreptitiously finishing my Spanish homework.

9:35 a.m. Aaand, on to Spanish, completed homework in hand. This class is hard but hilarious: the teacher sings to us, my friend throws a fork at a fake waiter during restaurant role play, and I fall out of my chair laughing. Somehow, all of this will make us better at speaking Spanish. But worse at behaving correctly in restaurants.

10:40 a.m. Time for my favorite class, Honors English! Today we watch the end of Romeo and Juliet, the one featuring totally inappropriate cleavage on Juliet. I know she’s married and all, but isn’t she supposed to be 13?

11:40 a.m. Algebra, also known as the last period before lunch—all I can focus on is counting down the minutes to semi-edible cafeteria food. Since our class is all girls, we also find time to talk to the teacher about her upcoming wedding, vowing to help her find the perfect blue shoes.

12:35 p.m. Lunch edibility verdict: chicken sandwich is the safest choice. I eat it under the blazing Southern Cali sun. Chicken sandwich + hot sun = crazy delicious.

1:15 p.m. Time for science, the last period of the day. It’s a pretty easy class, so I spend most of it talking to the guys at my table after we finish reading about volcanoes. Impressive how teachers can make molten lava exploding out of a mountaintop sound boring. *Yawn*

2:10 p.m. I head out to my mom’s car, where my sister’s already claimed shotgun. I sit in the back and contemplate the unjustness on the way to volleyball practice.

2:30 p.m. We don't have a gym at our school, so we practice in the ancient gym at the old district office. Did I mention that it’s really, really HOT? My coach comes in looking fabulous as always from her other job—the one where she’s not required to order athletes around a sweltering and decrepit gym. Our volleyball team is coed, and it combines middle school and high school players. I'm one of the only high school girls, which I love: it’s much more fun playing volleyball with guys.

5 p.m. A few stomachballs later, we're done with practice. My mom picks me up and we grab dinner on the way to youth group at my church.

6:30 p.m. At youth group, we play a seriously intense game of frisbee dodgeball tag, also known as “fragball,” followed by worship and study. The next day I only have one class, so all I have to do now is go home and sleep!

Does this sound like homeschooling to you?

Related post: A Day in the Life of a Chilean Private School Student

Wanna write for Sparknotes? Here there be guidelines.

Topics: School
Tags: sparkler posts, a day in the life, homeschooling, independent study

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners