Skip over navigation

Book Review: Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld

Book Review: Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld

By Contributor

This books sounds great; maybe Scott Westerfeld should hire you as his publicist, Nicole-Lyn!—Sparkitors

Despite its initially off-putting title, Uglies is an awesome book full of action, romance, and cool slang words you’ll want to use in public to confuse your friends and family.  And it’s not Twilight. Sold!

Uglies is set in a future version of America, which means there’s a whole bunch of cool future things—like hover boards and floating ice rinks–that I hope someone (preferably me) invents soon. But despite all the neat gadgets, the world isn’t perfect—far from it.  As we find out from narrator Tally Youngblood (who is on a perilous journey to find her runaway best friend), society has gotten incredibly superficial, and everyone is obsessed with outer beauty. “Uglies,” or people between the ages of 12 and 16, are forced to live together in a primitive community, and as you might guess, it’s a soul-crushing place where everyone is busy either loathing themselves or breaking every single rule they can think of—so, basically,  it’s like high school. All of the Uglies are anxiously awaiting their 16th birthdays, when they'll undergo mandatory plastic surgery in order to conform to society's standards of beauty. After having received the surgery, they'll be called Pretties, and they'll move to a different, much swankier community where they'll hang out with other gorgeous people and party like it's 2510. The Pretties spend their time drinking champagne, being vapid and vain, and saying the words “bubbly” and “bogus” so many times that I’m sure it gave me a brain aneurysm. But as Tally finds out, the oppressive government is hiding a dark secret about the dangers of becoming a Pretty, and she'll have to risk everything to save herself and her friends.

Because I don't want to spoil the rest of the book, that’s all I can really say about Miss Tally Youngblood and her many dangerous adventures. Go out and buy the book—or, if you’re really smart, invent a hover board, ‘cause I can’t wait for fancy future transportation any longer.

Have you read Uglies? Do you want to?

Related post: Book Review: The Last Song

Topics: Books
Tags: sparkler posts, books we love, reading, fiction, book reviews

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!