Skip over navigation

A Day in the Life of a Student in Nigeria

A Day in the Life of a Student in Nigeria

By Contributor

Thanks so much for giving us the scoop on school in Nigeria, smartygirl10!

I've read multiple A Day in the Life posts and enjoyed them all, but I recently realized that no one has really given their perspective on attending a high school in Africa. The World Cup was held here just a few months ago, and yet no African student has taken the liberty of giving students in America a taste of life in Africa! So today, I'm going to tell you about an average day in my life in Nigeria.

I go to one of the best schools in Nigeria; it's an international K-12 with 500 students. There are only 30 of us in the 9th grade—it's a small class, but we've all gotten used to it.

7:00 AM: My alarm clock goes off. I try to ignore it, but it gets louder with every passing second. It takes all of my strength to crawl out of bed, say my prayers, and take a shower.

7:45 AM: My driver takes me to school (practically every upper-class family in Nigeria has a driver, as their pay is no more than 15,000 naira, or USD 100, per month). In the car I turn on the radio and listen to the daily news.

7:55 AM: I arrive at school, catch up with friends, and talk about all the latest in Nigerian and Oyinbo (non-Nigerian) pop culture. Today's topics include Banky W, Wande Coal, an American TV show called Ruby, Glee, Lady Gaga, and Johnatan Goodluck.

8:00 AM: Math. We have just one math class; there are no options for AP or advanced classes. Fortunately, our class covers all of the things we'll need to know for the SAT and IGCSE, which we'll take in 10th grade.

8:40 AM: Business Studies. 90 percent of us use this class to catch up on sleep, but as this class is my favorite, I listen intently and wonder why everyone else is so lethargic.

9:20 AM: Computer and Technical Drawing. I go on the internet, check SparkNotes, and read SparkLife posts. In technical drawing, we learn how to draw blueprints, which is fun for future architects but boring for me. The computer part of our class is cut short when the electricity goes off, which is a normal occurrence here in Nigeria.

10:40 AM: Economics. None of us understand why we have to take both Business Studies and this course.

11:20 AM: Break. We buy snacks and discuss our upcoming English test.

12:00 PM: English. Our teacher (who is also our Economics and Literature teacher) forgot about our test—and no one reminds him. Yay!

12:40 PM: Literature. We discuss the required reading for IGCSE. It's riveting—not.

1:20 PM: Lunch. No one actually eats; we just go to other classes and chill.

2:00 PM: Chemistry. This is my other favorite class; we discuss how plastic is made and I take notes.

2:40 PM: PSAT prep class. This is a study course for those of us taking the PSAT. Today, our teacher draws a diagram of a butt on the board to help with vocabulary.

3:20 PM: School ends, and everyone rushes out to their extracurricular activities. I take Arabic.

4:20 PM: I go home, do my homework, watch the Style Network, then wake up and do it all over again.

Sounds a lot like high school in America—right down to talking about Glee episodes before class!

Related post: A Day in the Life..., What It's Like to Live in Nairobi, Kenya

Topics: Life
Tags: homework, sat, school, classes, psat, a day in the life, africa, nigeria

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners