Skip over navigation

Fairy Tales for Teens

Fairy Tales for Teens

By Contributor

Thanks for the recommendations, Aroha999! Now we can finally stop reading Little Red Riding Hood over and over!— Sparkitors

Remember when your mom used to read you a bedtime story every night before tucking you in? Remember the epic sadness you felt when you first realized that those days were over? And remember that little hole inside your heart that could never be filled, no matter how many books you read? Well, my friends, there is good news at last: those days didn’t have to end—The Harry Potter series is proof! A few of my favorite books are based on fairy tales, and as C.S. Lewis once said, “One day, you’ll be old enough to start reading fairytales again.”

1. East by Edith Pattou
East is a retelling of the Norwegian fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. It’s about a farm girl named Rose who is visited by a white bear—and decides to go on a journey with him. This is my favorite book. I reread this baby at least once or twice a year. Don’t be intimidated by its size, it will be completely worth your time.

2. Zel by Donna Jo Napoli
Zel is a retelling of Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm. It goes much deeper into the minds of Rapunzel, the witch, and the prince. I literally could not put this book down! I read it within a day.

3. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
This book is based on the fairy tale of the same name and is about a princess whose throne, title, and husband are all taken away from her by her closest friend. The great thing about this book is that there are two other sequels!

4. Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
This is based on the fairy tale Maid Maleen, about a princess and her maid who are locked away in a tower for seven years. This book is so diverse and wonderful, it instantly became one of my favorites. Almost all of Shannon Hale’s books are based on fairy tales, but Book of a Thousand Days is by far the best.

'Fess up: do you still read fairy tales?

Related post: Alternative Fairy Tale Morals

Topics: Books
Tags: books we love, fairy tales, book series

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!