Search Menu
Menu

A Sparkler's Favorite Book Series

A Sparkler's Favorite Book Series

straight_edge_society does a great job of being informative without giving too much away. Fab post, ses! —SparkNotes editors

One of my favorite pastimes is reading, and trust me, I have done A LOT of reading. This post is exactly what it sounds like: a list of my favorite teen series. I intentionally left out Harry Potter because (a) most of you have read it, and (b) you do not need me to tell you how great it is.

1. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, by Ann Brashares

One of the bestselling teen series of all time, Pants is the tale of four girls who are growing up and slowly drifting apart—along with some magical pants, of course. The Pants series is a must-read for teenage girls, as the main characters go through common things teenagers have to deal with: first love, heartbreak, death, pregnancy scares, and annoying siblings.

Books in the series: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; The Second Summer of the Sisterhood; Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood; Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood

2. Kiss Me, Kill Me series, by Lauren Henderson

Kiss Me, Kill Me is a two-book series about a year in the life of a girl named Scarlett Wakefield. While attending a party in London, Scarlett is out on the balcony, kissing her crush, when he drops dead at her feet. She sets out to find her crush’s killer while avoiding romantic relationships, afraid that the next boy she kisses will die.

Books in the series: Kiss Me, Kill Me; Kisses and Lies

3 The Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld

This is one of my most recently-read series, and it has to be one of my favorites. The books are set in a utopian society 300 years in the future. All the children are known as “uglies” until they get a major operation where they turn into “pretties.” The main character, Tally Youngblood, is 3 months shy of turning 16. She befriends a girl named Shay, who happens to have the same birthday as Tally. But with one week to go, Shay leaves the city, and Tally is faced with a terrible choice: She must either find Shay, learn the truth about her society, and never turn pretty, or have the perfect life she always dreamed of.

Books in the series: Uglies; Pretties; Specials; Extras

4. A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket

Though some people believe A Series of Unfortunate Events is just for kids, I actually found them more enjoyable as a teenager. The 13-book series chronicles the lives of the Baudelaire children—Violet, Klaus, and Sunny—as they get passed on from guardian to guardian. In the meantime, their evil cousin, Count Olaf, is trying to steal their fortune. One of the things I like best about the series is that I could be having a horrible day, but still know that the Baudelaires’ day was 10 times worse. Although it is sad to see how miserable their lives are, the children’s morality and unique optimism make the books very enjoyable.

Books in the series: The Bad Beginning; The Reptile Room; The Wide Window; The Miserable Mill; The Austere Academy; The Ersatz Elevator; The Vile Village; The Hostile Hospital; The Carnivorous Carnival; The Slippery Slope; The Grim Grotto; The Penultimate Peril; The End

5. A Touch Series, by Laurie Stolarz

Out of all the series in this list, A Touch Series is my absolute favorite. This is a five-book series with two books currently out and a third one set to be released this year. The first book begins when the protagonist, Camelia Hammond, is pushed out of the way of a speeding car by a mysterious boy. The boy, Ben Carter, is rumored to have pushed his ex-girlfriend off a cliff. Camelia then begins to receive creepy stalker notes, and Ben warns her that she’s in danger. Things begin to get scary, and Camelia doesn’t know who she can trust.

Books in the series: Deadly Little Secret; Deadly Little Lies

6. The Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer

Before you try to throw me into a mental hospital, let me explain myself. Without Stephenie Meyer and Twilight, DAN BLOGS WOULD NOT EXIST!!! Shocking, I know. Can you imagine a world without Dan blogs? Everything would become chaos to the point where even Emmett and jetpacking werewolves could not save us. Humanity would cease to exist. Twilight does exist, though, and thankfully, so do D-berg’s amazing blogs. We thank you, Dan Bergstein.

Books in the Series: Twilight; New Moon; Eclipse; Breaking Dawn

What's your favorite series?

Related Post: Synchrogirl's Book Review: Gone with the Wind

Wanna write for SparkLife? Send  your submission and nickname to contribute@sparknotes.com for consideration.

Topics: Books
Tags: twilight, dan bergstein, a series of unfortunate events, lemony snicket, scott westerfeld, the uglies, lauren henderson, sisterhood of the traveling pants

Write your own comment!