Skip over navigation

captaincakeslice's Playlist

captaincakeslice's Playlist

By Contributor

captaincakeslice is learning bass. Anyone else think we should start a SparkNotes band through Skype? We'll play drums. —SparkNotes editors

Music is life. As Robin Williams says in August Rush (which is a B-E-A-UTIFUL film), it's "God's little reminder that we aren't alone in the universe." So it's important to keep on listening. With no further ado... My favorite 10 songs at this very moment!

10. "Solta O Frango" by Bonde Do Role
These guys are awesome. They can't compete with Dan, but still... awesome. They're a Funk Carioca band, which is great because the genre is actually based on parties where the music is played, rather than any specific musical rules. Think funky elecro-Brazilian MC-ing. They worked on this track with Diplo, who's a pretty darn good producer. I'm told that it is being used in some Nokia adverts, but I haven't heard it.

9. "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

I only know this one particular song by this band, but I heart it in large amounts. It's got a kind of dusty folky country sound, with bits of indie pop and some alternativeness mixed in for good measure.

8. "Wildcat" by Ratatat
This song is one of my all-time favorites from the electric band Ratatat, who create relaxed guitary-sounding instrumental music. Their sound is like honey to my ears—it explores hook lines in millions of different ways. They have a new studio album coming soon, which will be the soundtrack to my summer. Complete bliss. Also, check out their track "Seventeen Years" for a faster sound.

7. "Miss Mars" by 80kidz
This is a synthy instrumental electropop tune with a nicely-developed bassline and a screeching solo, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, in a good way. Complexity is a big thing in this track—syncopated drum rhythms and an overall sound like a layered set of chocolates: take off the top layer and you have a rich, creamy filling.

6. "Do You Love Me" by The Contours
This is motown, from way back when. I'm learning bass, and unlike many generic rock tunes, which don't ever allow a bassist to groove out, motown sound is seventh heaven for a guy like me. This song also has melodic fills and a nice, head-nod beat. You won't find back-up singers like this anymore!

5. "Don't Cha" by The Baseballs
I. Love. The. Baseballs. They're a German band that do '50s rock-style covers of current pop tracks. Remember that song that introduced Pussy Cat Dolls to the world back in 2005? This is better. A million times over. They can do slow '50s rock with swing-style guitar, and if you can refuse that, then why are you even reading this? Go back to being a non-fun kind of person.

4. "Little Bit Of Soul" by DJ Format
Yes, a hip hop track. But don't protest until you hear it! This stuff is good. It's from DJ Format's 2005 album Music For The Mature B-Boy, and is the perfect backdrop to a lazy bike ride or walk about the town on a sunny day. Very relaxing Cut Copy style music.

3. "Drop Dub" by King Tubby
You've probably heard about Dubstep, which is a style of music only recently coming into mainstream Western fashion. Unsuprisingly, it's been around for decades, but a lot of Hollywood-types like to refer to it as "new." Dubstep actually has roots in Dub music. In this song, electric instruments are replaced by a woody-sounding bass and lilting guitars, with a rhythm section helped by what sounds like an egg shaker. Solid grooves for a chilled mood.

2. "Eat That Up, It's Good For You" by Two Door Cinema Club
This has all the best bits of indie pop, with little of the bad. It's endearing and cute, and has fast, poppy guitars with a powerful bass and excellent organy/synthy sound. This song is subtle and deep, but leave me feeling cheerful, anyway.

1. "Jamaica Farewell" by Harry Belafonte
Pure sonic enjoyment. If have a bad day, I just stick this in the headphones, lie down, and let the smooth guitar picking and perfectly-controlled vocals waft over me in a happy, floaty daze. Great for catharsis, and reminding you to continue your life if you don't feel like you can. This song has made me feel like everything's going to be okay more than once, and I never get bored of it.

What's your favorite song on the list?

Related post: More Bands Everyone Should Know

Topics: Music, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: sparkler posts, hip-hop, oldies, indie music, motown, bass, music mixes

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners