Skip over navigation

What It's Like to Live In...Alaska

What It's Like to Live In...Alaska

By Contributor

When it's 50 degrees, we wear sweaters and ski goggles, but for skidoo_chica22, that's tanning weather! —SparkNotes editors

When I was in second grade, my class convinced our pen pals that we have pet polar bears, live in igloos, and ride our snowmobiles to school. I WISH!! Here is how life really goes where I live.

Every day during the winter, I wake up extremely early and get ready for school. This means going outside—usually in weather anywhere from 20 degrees to -40 degrees—unplugging the car (yes, we plug them in. It has something to do with the engine freezing), sweeping off the inches of snow that bury it, and then starting it 20 minutes before leaving, so it’s slightly warm.

At school, all you see is sweats, jeans, and hoodies. I have ten hoodies; my friend has one for each day of the month. The girls who are missing brain cells occasionally wear shorts or skirts, but they usually change into pants by lunch. The school is heated, but all we hear is “We need to save energy!!” which sounds okay until you realize it’s actually warmer out in the blizzard than it is in the classrooms.

You might think that since we live in Alaska, snow isn’t a big deal to us. You are WRONG. Even if it’s been snowing every day for a month, we still get excited about it. Snow means snowmachining. (We say "snowmachine" because it sounds way cooler than "snowmobile," and we don’t have machines that make snow to confuse the two.) Snow also means skiing, snowboarding, and warm cups of hot chocolate by the fireplace.

The spring can best be described as a slush flood. Because that’s all there is. Slush. Which eventually melts and turns into AWESOME puddles to splash around in. Soccer starts in the spring, too. The fields are always flooded, so the games are like Water Soccer! (HA, you thought you kicked the ball really far?? Well, the puddle in the middle of the field says NO!)

In summer, we have an annual jump-into-the-lake-as-soon-as-there’s-no-ice-on-it event, which is a brilliant way to catch hypothermia, but once you go into shock, it’s not too incredibly bad. We all live though it. The middle of summer is bipolar. It can rain continuously for two days, be completely clear and sunny the next, and rain again the day after. The sunny days are the best, and I can just lay out in the 50-60 degree weather to get my Alaska tan. (Which is really no tan at all. But I try.)

The scenery is the best part of Alaska. In the summer, everything is beautiful and green. Then in the fall, the gazillion trees turn red, orange, yellow, and gold, making the earth look like it’s caught on fire. Winter turns everything black and white like an old time movie. The sun comes up in the morning and reflects off of everything, (because everything is frozen) and the world turns into a sparkling crystal. It’s one of the most gorgeous things I’ve ever seen in my life, and it’s why I love Alaska so very much.

Related post: What It's Like to Live In...Malaysia

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, soccer, tanning, snow, what it's like to live in..., alaska, snowmobiles

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!