By Emily Winter

Sparklers, say hi to our new intern, Nash! Nash is:

* a recent college grad
* a fan of SparkLife
* really nice and smart
* sitting right across from me so I better not say anything bad
* HELPING OUT WITH THE FRIDAY AWARDS!!!

Oh yeah, now the e-cabbages come out.

If you got a Friday Award this week, thank Nash. He went through every single comment over the last week to find FA fodder and to get to know you guys better. Yes, in a creepy way. Awards!:Happy Belated Birthday to Dumbledore21 and to neomaxizoomdwbi!!!

Awesome N00b Award goes to origami_vanity.

The We Hope We Get Stuck in a Subway Car with You Award goes to nylitjunkie09 for this comment on the personal space post...

I do the killer stare all the time--and it's not just when people are too close to me. Sometimes, I do it just to see how the person will react. It's a great test to see who's interesting. Most people get all shifty-eyed, and they quickly find something else to look at, like their finger nails or cell phone. Then, there are the people who stare right back. This is the most fun response. You get to have a staring contest with a complete stranger, which can turn a boring ride home into something MORE. Of course, you also get the crazies--you know, the ones that could snap at any time and kill you or something. You just have to know the right person to stare at. That hint of danger makes it all the more exciting though.

The Craziest Dreamer Award goes to nox_light47 for this comment on the dreams post...

Hahahahahahaha wow! When I was little I had a recurring dream about being chased and eaten by a barracuda while trying to row away in my rowboat! But the barracuda ALWAYS got me! And it would eat my legs and then my stomach and right before it ate my head I would wake up!! I had this dream every year the night before my birthday. Also, Sebastion the crab from the Little Mermaid was there. What does that mean!?

The Cheez-Its FOREVER Award goes to Dumbledore21 for this comment on this week's Jazzy post...

I'm sorry, but I hate going to the fridge and cupboards, opening them, and shutting them because I have discovered we are out of Cheezits. And I'm really hungry. And OMG FRIDAY AWARDS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!! I said that to my friends at school yesterday and they're like, "What are Friday Awards? What class are they in?" and I said (well, more really thought), "Silly Madelyn, Friday Awards are for Sparklers"

The Please Send Us Eds Some of Your Vox(!!!) Award goes to pullingpuzzles for this comment on the Jazzy post....

Whenever I need to calm down, I either write a song about what ever is causing me trouble no matter how stupid it is or just lie down, on my bed, in the dark, and practice getting my vocals to sound exactly like Matt Bellamy's. It's very amusing, I'm getting close. You should hear me sing Starlight.

Nerd Points to...

...TheNerdyNerd001 for this comment on the Get Your Tax On post...

We should definitely tax poor grammar! Then nerds would rule the internet once more!!

...and to rebel_of_nowhere for this comment on the ordinary medals post...

What about a medal for the nerd who proudly flaunts their nerdiness?
Or for someone who is always able to put up with horrible teachers, and is even nice to the hapless sub.
The person who manages to get to school on time every day, without breaking the sound barrier when they realize they're late. They're just naturally and annoyingly punctual.

The That Is so Awesome Award/Powerpoint Proficiency goes to Dumbledore21 for this comment on the arguing with parents post....

When I was 11, I wanted my ears pierced SO BADLY! My parents had said, "Don't you want to be special and unique and not get your ears pierced like everybody else?" My dad made me make a powerpoint to prove my point. (I did, and I got my ears pierced that day. I picked blue earrings.)

The Newest Member of the Crushing on Dead Guys Club goes to 1grobanite for this comment on the classic film star crushes post...

Just to randomly jump in this conversation, I have to say, that my crush is Napoleon Bonaparte... I'm not sure why, but its that portait by Jacque Louis David... ruff. How can a dead man turn me on!?! Hahaha

The Jetlag Brilliance Award goes to aptly-named travelwriter21 for this comment on the jetlag post...

I find that it helps if you wear a watch, and as soon are you get on the plane set it to the time of the place you are traveling to. That way, if you look at your watch frequently, you can sometimes convince yourself that you just have a questionable internal clock, and are not really changing time zones. That way, when you get off the plane, you won't freak out that it is sunny even though it seems like midnight

The Broadway Award goes to Actress92 for this comment on the languages post...

More pluses for Xulu.
It's the language of The Lion King on Broadway.
Ingonyma nengwe nama bala.
There is a tiger, there is a lion.
I think.

Olympic Points to all kiwis, especially Kiwiatheart for this comment on the fourth Olympics post...

My mum was 20 minutes late picking me up from tennis today. Her excuse? Apparently she had to watch history when Australia managed to win two gold medals in one winter olympics. I thought, yeah right, and next thing i hear is Jamaica has won gold in the bobsled. SUrprisingly though, turns out she was telling the truth, I was shocked

More Olympic Points to hubbabubba515 for all the enthusiasm here...

OOOOOOH GOD OOOOH MY GOD I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THE WINTER OLYMPICS!!! THEY ARE MY.... MY... MY LIFE! Seriously, I love the Olympics in general, and don't get me wrong, I'm a huuge fan to the summer olympics, but seriously? The Winter Olympics just blow EVERYTHING AWAY. it's just so.... so- beautiful! precise! cutting-edge! cold! snowy! flashy! funky! dancy! Cute, tiny icy skating costumes! gliding! Flying! just great! Ice skating= my soul!!! Skiing= the essence of my passion! Luge=my blood, guts, and tears! Snowboarding=all my hopes and dreams come true! I really really want to be in them someday. AHHHHH *kisses TV* I watched the whole Opening Ceremony. I wish they came each year. Every one of the Olympians, summer and winter, is my idol. My greatest, biggest idol. This little girl seriously looks up to them. They are all like my superheroes. The Summer Olympics are like, my sleepover- big-event-popcorn love. The Winter Olympics are like, my die-to-see-them-all-day-and-night-eat-meals-in-front-of-the-TV love. plus, the commercials are pretty awesome too.

Best New Olympic Sport Award goes to synchrogirl117 for this comment on the school Olympics post...

Here's another one:
CURLING!!
push textbooks/homework/pencils down the table to your friend at the other end while the sweepers (various classmates unfortuanate enough to be between you and your bestie) frantically clear their own projects and supplies out of the way. Goal is to get the items as close to your friend as possible. Wouldn't want Jimmy to get a hold of it. You'll NEVER get it back!

LOL Points to...

...to xXx_lola_xXx for this comment on the Get Your Tax On post...

I think there should be a bathroom tax- not for people under 18 obviously- that way they get money with every flush.
Person needing to use the bathroom: Oh, dang, I need to use the bathroom but I need a dollar.. Can I borrow one from you?
Other Person: No, I am saving it for the next time I need to go.
Person needing to go to the bathroom: Oh screw it... *goes to the bathroom*
~FLUSH!~
Government: Every flush brings in the moneys!!! Oh, great. Now I need to go.. Can I get a government pardon from the tax?

...to Nillabee for this comment on the same post...

while i am all for taxation, let's not tax 'firsts', 'kay? they're healthy for you. however, i'm fine with taxing, say, stupid people. they owe me $5 every time they breathe. i mean, i'd get a pretty large profit from the congress alone. they're *filled* with all sorts of hot air!

...to zella435 for this comment the latest Blogging Eclipse post...

Dan, we're sorry. We are truly terrible, privacy invading, stalkerish teenagers. Forgive us. We won't read anymore of your personal mail (or follow you around town in a dark, suspicious-looking van; or break into your house and wait for you to come home; or dig in your trash.) We know not what we do...
Zella (the reformed stalker)

...to embracethecheese for this comment on the Jane Austen post...

Mr. Bingley is a tad shallow, but Darcy's an arrogant jerk, so maybe if you smashed them together? Then you'd get a smart, witty, passionate, yet charismatic guy. Yeah. Just smash them together.

...to morgie013 for this comment on the same post...

I know. In my circle of friends, I'm the hopeless romantic. The one who cries at the end of Titanic, Romeo & Juliet, The Notebook and Beauty and the Beast.
Jane Austen was amazing. If I can find a guy who's read (and also heart ed) her novels, I think I'll marry him.
Or at least one who can watch Disney movies with me and not fall asleep

...to bouncingJ for this comment on Awesome Thing of the Week....

I live in N. VA, and let me tell you, the pigeons in DC are definitely capable of almost starting WWIII for a bagel.

...to zgirl95 for this comment on the same post...

I had the volume up really high on the first one and my mom heard it and ran in here thinking there was something wrong with me, I don't really see the logic in this, but then again she is crazy.

...to delville_dreamer for this comment on the languages post...

Pantoffels is my favourite word in the whole world... I've wanted to name a pet that forever but my parents would never let me.

...to xoxNANDINIxox for this  comment on the Ex is a Piranha post...

Oh god. I thought the title said "Your Ex is a Piñata" for a second. LOL Can you imagine that? Then again, that wouldn't be such a bad image.

...to romancingvulcans for this comment on the post about arguing with parents...

My parent's don't belive in "grounding;" they belive in having my dad use his frightning lawyer tactics to punish me. Lawyers are probally the scariest people alive. They get inside your mind kinda like when Spock does the Vulcan Mind Warp. One, We are ONE. I AM SPOCK WE ARE ONE.

...to logininfo224 for this comment on the same post...

My arguments are usually the you have no idea.
Parents: What is up with your grades?
Me: I know that they're not what you expected. (even if I get a 94!)
Parents:Of course not. It's because of Youtube. No Youtube for life!
Me: Okay
(five seconds later) *watches "Pants on the Ground" via Youtube*
Clears history also!

...to FadingRose for this comment on the parents post...

Parents win arguments because they're the ones in authority.
And they can easily take away our electronic devices whenever they want. And we can't complain
I smell totalitarianism.

...to Topazinha for this comment about the personal space post...

I absolutely HATE it when people invade my private space. except for my best friend, if someone, it can be just a good friend too, sits too close, or touches my face, i get reeaally nervous. like a squirrel stuck on an inflated rubber duck in the middle of the altantic and who just realised that his super-awesome nutcracker/ jetpack drowned with the guy he pushed overboard.
hmmm no wonder people think im weird...

...to fuzzybluelightz for this comment on the same post...

I just say, "MY BUBBLE!" and create and imaginary bubble that they are not allowed to pass. It usually works.

...to DonnaLawliet for this comment on the personal space post...

I usually speak to my friend loudly in German and pretend to get angry. People tend to go away upon hearing harshly spoken German ^_^

...and to pennboz for this comment on the same post...

I used to go a big convention type thing in Portland where people are literally shoving you through doors- one year a door actually got broken because of all the people-- and I deal by 1.) flailing my arms around like a crazy person, 2.) sneezing in every direction, and 3.) a good elbow jab never hurt anyone- hypothetically speaking of course.

...to beagle48644 for this comment on the school Olympics post...

We [freshmen] do have outrageously giant, magic backpacks. Good luck getting around us. We knock some unfortunate sophomore out, on average, weekly. By accident of course. How are we supposed to know that our backpack can't fit through the holes in the crowd like we can?

...to FadingRose for this comment on the Things More Dangerous than Laptops post...

STAPLERS ARE INSANELY DANGEROUS!!
I was bored
So I thought
Hmm...what happens if i stick my finger in this and press it?
Never. Again.

...to rebel_of_nowhere for this comment on the fashion trends that need to die post...

LEGGINGS! Not pants, people!! You don't go to the grocery store half dressed. Oh, speaking of fashion and grocery stores, I saw a woman go there in teddy bear slippers. Not cool. If my mom did that I'd hide in the vegetable section.

...to jaseyrae for this comment on the inventions post...

If you think about it, you'll realize speedos are just bikinis for men. And I applaud a man with enough confidence to strut around in one of those.
But, in all seriousness, Grandpa, if you're reading this, please tell great-uncle Urho to cover up... Please...

...to runxbabyxrun for this comment on Sunday's open thread...

My mom got a fb, but only for the purpose of stalking me! She was afraid i was using fb to talk to boys. Yes, i repeat, using fb to talk to boys, cause thats the kind of hussy i am. And yes, my mom said hussy.

Congrats, Friampions!!!

Topics: The Internets
Tags: friday awards

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners