Skip over navigation

Better Ways to Procrastinate

Better Ways to Procrastinate

By Contributor

The moment we started editing this post by xXx_lola_xXx, The Raincoats' cover of "Lola" came on our iTunes shuffle. Weeeeeird! —SparkNotes editors

There are some things you should and should not do when procrastinating. I should know—it's not like nerds are exempt from procrastination.

But there are good ways to procrastinate (things that don't take long, and make you feel refreshed), and bad ways to procrastinate (things that take hours and leave you feeling spent). Since we all do it, I thought I'd make a list of how to do it right:

Bad Choice
Facebook. You will probably find way too many distractions that will make you procrastinate a little too long. Same with MySpace.
Better Choice
Chat on the internet. Almost every email website offers the chat option, so you can chat with a friend while checking your email.

Bad Choice
Movies. They seem to pass by in an instant, but actually they go on forever.

Better Choice
Books. Few people feel compelled to finish a book in one night like they do with movies. In addition to books, magazines, comics, and newspapers work well, too.

Bad Choice
Shopping. We thought we'd be safe with this one. But, like movies, this incredibly enjoyable activity goes by way too fast, and we end up feeling cheated.

Better Choice
Listen to music. Heck, you can even dance. Burn off those potato chips you just ate while you were pretending to study. Don't deny it, I saw you. (Don't worry, I won't tell...I ate some, too.)

Bad Choice
Chores. I think you know why.

Better Choice
Paid chores. Again, no explanations needed.

Bad Choice
Stare at the bumps on the wall.

Better Choice
Clean your closet. I know it's overflowing, and you hate to admit you have too many clothes. But it's true, you do. Go through all the clothes in your closet and get rid of anything that doesn't fit, you don't want, or don't wear. After all, you don't want a closet like in 27 Dresses.

Any other dos or don'ts?

Related Post: "Hi! My Name is ________ and I Am a Procrastinator"

Wanna write for SparkLife? Send your submission to contribute@sparknotes.com We've already got tons of Christmas-y submissions, so look ahead to 2010 for inspiration!

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, procrastination

Write your own comment!