Skip over navigation

What the Heck is Wizard Rock?

What the Heck is Wizard Rock?

By Contributor

Sparkler ilikedishes is one amazing writer. She's also a big HP fan and a fan of good music, which makes her triple awesome in our book. Enjoy her post, it's one of our faves! —SparkNotes Editors

I'll be the first to admit it: When it comes to Harry Potter, I am a full-blown nerd. I've read and re-read the series more times than I can count, and I've seen the movies so often I can practically recite them. I even have a cardboard cutout of the boy wizard in my basement. But there is an aspect to my Harry Potter fandom that is a little more obscure and much less publicized: wizard rock.

Wizard Rock (commonly known as wrock) is exactly what it sounds like: a bunch of huge Harry Potter fans getting together and playing really awesome music for fellow fans. Some bands write songs from the perspective of one character, while others write about the series or the fandom as a whole.

The coolest part about wrock is that most bands are not mainstream and as a result, the concerts are small and personal. Most wrock band still send out their CDs from the post office, and lots of them use YouTube, MySpace Music, and Twitter to get their name out and interact with fans. Sometimes they even offer free music on their sites to get the word out. The bands usually have some real talent, and sometimes you wouldn't even be able to tell the song was wrock...until they start singing about Death Eaters.

To get you started on wrock, here are a few of my personal favorite songs and artists:

The Butterbeer Experience

Of all the wrock bands out there, I think this is one of the best. The vocalist, Lena, has an awesome voice and her songs are heartfelt and fun. Some recordings are rough because she does them all herself, but the music is great, so you get over that. My favorite wrock song ever is "Chapter 34" by The Butterbeer Experience (embedded below), along with the more fun and happy "Accio Hot Guy."

Ministry of Magic

This group is one of the most versatile out there in the wizard rock world. They have a poppy sound but their style varies from song to song. If you like electronic music and Harry Potter, you'll love Ministry of Magic. Some of their best are "Snape vs. Snape" (featuring The Parselmouths) and "The Bravest Man I Ever Knew."

Harry and the Potters
This is probably the most popular wrock group out there. They have a classic rock feel and are also one of the oldest wrock bands. They’ve played over 500 shows since 2002 and have some great music. My picks: “The Foil (Malfoy)” and “Save Ginny Weasley.”

Draco and the Malfoys
This group writes songs from the perspective of one character, and I bet you can guess who it is. Their songs are funny and have rock undertones. One of the best, "99 Death Eaters," is a parody of Nena's "99 Red Balloons." Another great listen is "Voldemort is Awesome," which talks about Voldemort from Draco's (hilarious) point of view.

The Remus Lupins

This is another very popular group in the wrock world, and the subject of many fangirl jokes because of their lead singer, Alex Carpenter. Their sound varies, but most of the time their songs have an indie rock quality about them. Some of my personal favorites are “Loosen Your Tie” and “Looking for Trouble.”

The Moaning Myrtles
This group is made up of two girls. The music is upbeat and catchy, and the girls' voices blend almost effortlessly. Some of their songs are from the perspective of Myrtle, but most are about fandom or Harry Potter in general. Some of their best songs are “Cedric” and “And Then I Died.”

These are only a few of the best wrock bands out there. There are tons more: Gred and Forge, the Parselmouths, the Whomping Willows, Tonks & the Aurors, and many others. Overall, these musicians are super talented, and you don’t have to be a Harry Potter fan to appreciate their skill (but it helps). I guess in the end there's only one thing to say about this music phenomenon: Wrock Rocks.

Wanna write for SparkLife? Send your submission and nickname to contribute@sparknotes.com for consideration.

Related Post: Growing Up With Harry Potter

Topics: Music, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: harry potter, sparkler posts, music mixes

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners