Skip over navigation

The Breakup Playlist

The Breakup Playlist

By Contributor

Sparkler WishYouWereMe is good at seeing the bright side of a bad relationship: a great playlist of her favorite pop music! —SparkNotes Editors

Most MSGs (My Summer Guy) do not last. In fact, a typical MSG is gone by Labor Day. (MSG also stands for monosodium glutamate, the ingredient that tricks your brain into liking food. Coincidence?)

Anyways, though it may seem like it, September isn’t that far away, and as my mom always says, "better safe than sorry." So, I have prepared the perfect playlist for you in case that horrible time does come or already has. These songs will carry you through any breakup:

STAGE #1: The Actual Breakup

"Like a Boy" by Ciara
This pretty sums up all the reasons it was a good idea to break it off with your summer significant. (He “made you cry,” “never called,” etc).

"Take a Bow" by Rihanna
This song reassures you that your breakup is for the best.

"To The Left" by Beyonce
Now it is time to kick him out…of your house and your mind.

STAGE #2: Venting

"Gives You Hell" by All American Rejects

Yes, you hate your MSG. You can turn up this song and sing along to get it all out of your system.

"Who’s Got Your Money" by Tina Parol
You could have stolen all your ex’s money, but you are nicer than that. Congratulations, you have a lot of self control.

"Smile" by Lily Allen
This is an upbeat song about finding happiness after breakups. If you ever see that MSG again…smile at him. It's the best revenge.

STAGE #3: Getting Over it

"So What" by P!nk
You don’t need a guy. You're still a rock star! You got your rock moves!

"Goodbye" by Kristinia DeBarge
This song makes you feel like your taunting your ex when you sing, "Hey, hey, hey, goodbye!"

"Single Ladies" by Beyonce
OK, so you may not have been expecting a ring, exactly, but if your summer love wasn't interested in commitment, then it wasn't worth your time, and you're better off single!

STAGE #4: Moving On

"I Do Not Hook Up" by Kelly Clarkson
You aren’t hooking up with some MSG anymore. Instead, you are going to wait for a nice gentleman to come around.

"Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas
There’s nothing like this fun song to get you happy again. Coincidentally, it is from the album The E.N.D., signifying the end of your grieving time.

"I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas
This song is about having fun, and the fun starts tonight!

Wanna write for SparkLife? Send your submission and nickname to contribute@sparknotes.com for consideration.

Topics: Music, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: relationships, breakups, summer romance, music mixes

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!