Skip over navigation

Share Your Culture, Sparklers

Share Your Culture, Sparklers

By Matt_Hunziker

Last week’s post on world languages sparked (pun-tacular!) a great discussion about the different cultural backgrounds of you, our diverse multitudes of Sparklers. It was so interesting, in fact, that we’re back for more. We want to hear about what you do for holidays, and what your traditions are, and more on languages, too!

I'll start. Growing up in the Midwest, in a family that’s lived in the United States for generations, I can’t say I did things that differently from most of the people I went to school with. Nor do I feel much of a bond with my distant ancestors. Of course, it doesn’t help that we’re Swedish-German-Irish-Swiss-Scottish-Native American-Slovak(?)-American. What do you do for holidays when you have 42 different national heritages? Invite everybody over for scotch eggs and lutefisk, then spend the afternoon on a nice family biathlon and a round of hammer throwing?

I have my Northern European roots to thank for my susceptibility to sunburn; that’s something I do have in common with my forbears (though at least they were protected by a sufficient ozone layer, which is more than I can say for myself).

But back to you: Do you play badminton or kubb over the summer? Prefer the Spanish or Persian option when dealing with automated phone trees? Set off fireworks on the 4th of July or Guy Fawkes Night (or both)?

Topics: Life
Tags: culture

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Matt_Hunziker

Piscetarian

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.