Our Yearbook Guide and Yearbook FAQ offer up a metric ton of advice about handling yearbooks. But some readers have more specific questions. Below is an email we received from a loyal reader, who writes:
Can you list some things I can sign in a yearbook that covers my athletic, odd, loner, stoner, social, etc. group of friends? I can't sign the same thing and I'm much more original than, "Have a great summer see you next year."
You ask, and we answer. Here are some original things to write in your friends' yearbooks:
- "I didn't write this with my hands."
- "SparkNotes told me to write this: 'Popcorn fungus is the pickles of my life'. And I followed their instructions because they would never steer me wrong."
- "Sometimes I take showers when I cry so that no one can see my tears. Have a great summer."
- "You can use a T-shirt as a pillow case but not the other way around. That pretty much sums up how I feel about you."
- "Your underwear is so lucky. I wish I was your underwear."
- "You know what movie wasn't that bad? Hellboy II."
- "I love you. But I'm not in love with you. You deserve someone better than me. Hope you understand. Have fun this summer."
- "Meet me behind the gas station in twenty minutes. Come alone. NO COPS."
- "You say the word 'shenanigans' too much. I'm not joking."
- "If you were a flavor of ice cream, you would be Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, because I already assigned every other flavor to my other friends. And I can't have two Strawberries. Sorry."
- "I'm not going to end this note with a period, am I? Yep."
- "I've kept my mouth shut for seven years, but I just have to know: What's up with your teeth?"
- "SparkNotes is the best thing that has ever happened to Earth."
- "If you were held hostage and the bad guy put a knife to your throat and used you as a shield, don't get all pissed off when I say, 'Go ahead. Kill him. He means nothing to me.' I'd only be saying that to get the upper hand. Also, I'd shoot the bad guy instead of negotiating, so move your head as far to the left as possible so I can get a clear shot. (My left)."
- "Before SparkNotes, thunder lizards terrorized the entire planet. Since SparkNotes launched, there have been zero signs of these monsters. Coincidence?"
- "There's no easy way to say this, but I was sent back in time to solve your murder. You die in fifteen days. Can you think of anyone who wishes to harm you? Think! We're running out of time!"
- "If you and I formed a band, and after years of success our sales figures started to slip and our manager suggested we try a more poppy sound, I just want you to know that I think it's a pretty good idea. Yeah, we'll alienate our hardcore fans, but in doing so, we open ourselves up to a whole new audience. It's just smart business."
- "I didn't know what to write, so I asked a website for some advice and this is what they told me to jot down in your yearbook. I was hoping for something clever. This is the best they can do? Oh well."
- "Dan Bergstein is a writer for SparkNotes, and he's a great guy who is as handsome as he is charming. I just thought you should know. Oh, and did I mention he's never broken a bone in his entire life? It's true!"
Feel free to modify these notes to fit your specific needs. Now that we answered your question, please take a shot at answering one of ours: Do you think plants can feel pain?